1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Japanese Fender Semi-Acoustic Fretless P Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Correlli, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  2. nope that's a real Precision bass.. it can't remember the exact name but it is a real one.. they were a flop :/

3. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    I'v got one and I love it. The pietzo in the saddel needs a buffer or preamp, othewise I think it is a fantastic bass.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    It's got quite a bit of appeal to me.

Damn, if I had some spare $$, I,d snatch it up.

5. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    looks pretty cool

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played one in a shop when they first came out and thought it was really cool. Great tone.

7. I saw this auction on trademe, and would have been really tempted if I hadn't just bought an Ibanez ATK specifically to defret (still working on it at the moment). The bass in the auction looks great, but I've never played one. Fretlesses are pretty hard to come by (at least in Auckland), so if you're after one, this would probably be as good as anything that's easily available (I haven't looked on Trademe for a week or so, but there was also an unlined Warwick Rockbass Corvette fretless for no reserve starting NZ$400 buy now $500, which is a pretty cheap way of getting a fretless...)

I wandered around most of the shops in Auckland a month or so ago wanting to try out some fretlesses: K road rockshop had a Rockbass corvette unlined fretless for $NZ999, and Mainline Greenlane had a terrible Ibanez for NZ$899 with an ebonal lined fingerboard and more string buzz than a sitar (not mwah, more like pfffffft). That was it! No other fretlesses...

But I reckon go for it if you have the bucks. You'll have to buy to try, because it'd be a miracle if there's more than one of these in the country. It's a genuine MIJ fender by the sounds of it, and you're unlikely to go badly wrong buying it if you want a fretless. Unless you want something that sounds like a stingray... In which case buy a second hand ATK and defret it!:cool: . I've gotten some fantastic bass/guitar deals on trademe. Bear in mind that the turnover/bidding on fretlesses on trademe seems to be very slow - it may take a while to unload if you do buy it but don't like it!:eyebrow:
    Steve

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Trademe has some interesting stuff popping up from time-to-time.

9. True, but you do have to wade through an awful lot of samicks/harpers to find them! That said both of my ATK's have been fantastic deals via trademe, as was my strat.

So are you gonna buy it? It looks great!

Best of luck,
    Steve.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a Fender Acoustic/Electric bass. AE for short.

I owned one. Personally, I'd go for a Godin.

11. that thing is friggin sweet

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'd love one.

13. Looks Gorgeous.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    As already noted "Fender A/E Precision"
    One Lace Sensor P pup, one piezo pup, which really needs an onboard buffer/preamp built in to sound best, IMHO.
    Neat bass if that's your bag. That seems to be about the right price. I've been looking at those sell for a while, but have never wanted one bad enough to shell for one.
    Nice piece though...

15. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I love to, but I'm saving my $$ for a new bass rig. I'm going for one of those light-weight, high powered, tiny boutique bass rig. But I would like a fretless at some stage though.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Same here. They look great, were constructed great, and played very well. I simply think the technology for piezo-equipped basses wasn't developed enough at the time, and led to a somewhat weak-sounding bass. I suppose the body is a decent enough platform to use as an electronic upgrade, but at hat amount of money a used (or more likely, new) Godin would be a much better choice.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  19. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is the ugly cousin of the AE Precision - the Fender HMT bass. It has the same body & electronics (Fender Lace Sensor P pickup, unbuffered bridge piezo, active TBX tone control). But as an extra special bonus it has a really ugly hockey-stick headstock and triangular inlays on the fretboard. I think the "HM" in the name is for "Heavy Metal" and they went for the look, but a heavy metal semi-hollow?

I installed a PZP-1 and, while I was messing around in it, one of the Reverend 8.7K pickups. I did some rough before-and-after soundclips that are on one of my Soundclick pages. The PZP-1 dramatically increased the usability of the piezo - whether the Reverend P pickup was an improvement is a matter of taste.

I had a Godin A4 and replaced it with the HMT. From an ergonomics standpoint there's no comparison IMO - the HMT hangs in a more comfortable and "natural" position - the reach to the first fret isn't nearly as long and the upper horn reduces the neck dive over the single cut A4 (one of the older Godin Acoustibasses that are double-cut would not have the same drawbacks as the A4). Sound-wise I think the piezo in the Godin might be a touch nicer and the 3-band eq is definitely a lot more flexible than the TBX circuit on the HMT. But the HMT has a magnetic pickup as well, so you've got a different type of flexibility.

So for me, the added comfort from the standard body style and the ability to switch between the magnetic pickup sound and the piezo pickup sound (and blend them) makes it a nice bass with a lot of flexibility. I'm thinking about taking it to a music festival this spring where I'm playing with two different groups - one a quieter acoustic guitar/bass/woodwind/conga quartet and one a massive 2 guitar/bass/keyboard/sax/2 drumkits/percussionist wall'o'sound. That way I can get both a nice acoustic-ey tone and a straight P sound from one bass that will work with both groups.

But as Bill Bolton has mentioned on these in the past - the bridge in factory configuration gives a pretty high action. Once I get settled down on what strings I'm going to use on it I will follow his advice and get a luthier to shave down the bridge to a more reasonable height.