Japanese Fenders: what sort of price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cambass, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I've recently spotted a couple of beautiful Japanese 'crafted' Fenders on a website for a shop in Sydney (Aus): http://globalvintage.com.au

Anyway, I was wondering what sort of prices I would expect to pay for a decent CIJ Fender. The two I'm looking at are between $1000-1500 and were recently made around 2002. I've heard these basses are great quality, are they worth the high price tag?
  2. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    You can order direct from a company in Japan like Ishibashi. Here's the basic page for basses in English. I don't know the exchange rate for Yen and Australian dollars - you're gonna have to track that down. I've heard of a lot of people that have had really good experiences ordering internationally from Ishibashi. Here's another page in English with their email address - if you know what you want, you can email them and they'll help - and they speak English! (Note that the English webpages are done by an automatic translator that isn't very good...)

Hope this helps!
  3. Ishibashi is great, bought a guitar from them, great service.
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I agree, fabulous service from Ishibashi. Extremely prompt and helpful.
  5. I just bought a M.I.MIJ. Jazz off ebay(oz) for $700 ITs a killer. So it's up 2 U! Either keep an eye out on ebay-au or do wot U gotta- I've only had mine a few weeks & I'm very happy so far. Rod
  6. Booyaa, I'm pretty sure I recommended these guys to the forums.

Awesome place, and Renee' is a top bloke, stop by and have a beer!

Got my Fender 1962 Jazz Reissue for $1k

They had a Walter Woods head, Thunder Funk Head(s) and Acme cabs also.
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I went in for a visit a while back when I was in the city after reading about them here. Nice guy, some really cool basses and guitars. Compared to Venue around the corner, it's a whole 'nuther world.
  8. Thanks for the replies, I emailed Ishibashi regarding some nice basses on their site and got prompt replies within a couple of hours!

The only thing stopping me from buying overseas is the customs thing, apparently basses are too long to be brought in, is this true?
  9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ishibashi use EMS which is fine for basses dimensionally, and the Japanese PO has a good tracking facility online. Probably 3-5 days to Oz from despatch. Most basses can't be sent through the PO as they're too long, but EMS limits are a bit bigger. Carriers such as UPS/Fedex have no such limits.

When it gets here, the fees will be (declared value under $A1000): total cost of bass + shipping x 10% GST. You'll usually get a card in the mail to pick it up from the local PO and pay the tax. Sometimes though, they slip through. No duties are payable.

If it's over $A1000 declared value, then Customs will hold it up. Same GST, no duties, but there will be some paperwork to fax off (proof of ID, proof of purchase price, Customs form) or do in person at the Customs clearing centre. There's a roughly $A50 Custom's entry fee and if they think it's msde of wood, AQIS may hold it up and irradiate* it ($A68) to make sure there are no pests in the wood. FTR, UPS and Fedex are a similar process and costs to this, but they're actually a Custom's agent themselves so they do all the paperwork and you only have to pay the fees, though their shipping is higher.

* I have a friend in Customs who tells me this is SOP when they think it's wood.
  10. Thanks Dharmabass, that's the info I needed! Now I just have to decide which bass to get :hyper: