1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

japanese fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Mar 25, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    heres my question, i own a 87 japanese fender p bass special,(both P&J pick-ups)and to me it seems to be of better quality and sound and craftsman-ship than my mex j/bass,and in my opinion any other mex fender i have ever come across,and i mite add SOME of the U.S. made fenders,heres my question am i alone in this opinion? is my fender an odd ball,or just one of the good years for fender japan? i've played many new fender japans=g/lee model and the sting p-bass and they were also very high quality,the quality of the wood and finish and sound seems to be VERY superior to the mex,
    am i correct? i know my opinion of my bass only matters to me but am i imagining this big difference,if i am correct why are'nt they more valuable than what they are, i paid 300.00 for it and put 150.00 into it and it plays as well as ANY fender,new,old,mex ,japan or u.s models.
    can i get some feed-back?:bassist:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played alot of MIJ basses & they are very nice. For the mopst part, the quality control is more consistant then the MIA's & MIM's I've seen. But that dosen't mean that they're all perfect. I've seen my share of MIJ dogs, as well.

The only Fender I own is a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz & a Steve Harris P body that's gonna have an AllParts neck & p/j configuration.

3. I'd have to agree w/Nino on this. I have 3 MIJ P-basses and they all blow away the newer MIA's and certainly the MIM's. They sound like 70's MIA's. The necks are great! Although I have had 2 other MIJ's that I have since sold because of neck issues, but like EVERYTHING out there, there are inconsistencies!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played a number of MIJs, MIAs, and MIMs over the years and can confirm the comments posted by Nino and Tim.

If I were to buy a new or used Fender, I'd be looking at a MIJ first. That's not to say that all MIJs are perfect.

5. I've had a half dozen MIJs over the years, all were nice sounding, nice playing instruments. A couple of them had BIRDSEYE necks, which were VERY NICE :)

the only Fender that remains in my stable is a '97 MIJ

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan