Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

japanese G&L...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 1, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/cgibin/discpages.cgi

it seems that G&L has a japanese series called tribute
    these instruments are made in japan.

http://www.pearlgakki.com/oversea/GandL/tribute/tribute.html

i'd like to buy an asat bass but i need to know if i'm buying a japanese one or an american made one. can you help me posting pictures of your basses headstocks? I need that to make comparision with the headstock of the asat i found in a shop here in europe. the guy at the shop doesn't know anything about this japanese production. what make me worry is that on this asat there is no made in usa logo. neither made in japan. on the headstock there is the 'G&L' logo in silver and under the logo there is quoted in black 'guitars by leo', on the right part of the headstock there is the logo 'asat bass' in black. on the japanese series it seems that on the headstock there is the logo 'tribute'. on this bass there is no 'tribute' logo neither made in japan nor made in usa is written on the body. does your american made asat wear 'made in usa logo' somewhere on the body, on the haedstock or somewhere else?
    can you help me please?
    i do not want to buy a japanese one instead of an american G&L. thanks in advance to everyone.
    marco

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ha,Ha you really had me going!!! I forgot today was April 1

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm afraid that this is not one of those big fishes for the first of april. visit the links i posted and read. are you still smiling?

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yikes!!!
    Are you SERIOUS???
    I'll be watching this post closely to see what you find out. I'm in the market for a G&L ASAT ot L2000 and I assumed they were ALL made in the USA like the ads say. If they are doing cheap knock offs from Japan they better be well marked!!! Thanks for the heads up. How come there isn't anything on the G&L page about this. What about all the Special sale G&L's at Bass Northwest? are they American made? Their ads don't say one way or the other

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm in your situation too. i'm looking for an ASAt bass and i'll like to know only if i buy an american made one or a japanese made one. it is not my intention to say that G&L is not a serious company. my intent is only to know. and maybe i'm wrong. i hope.

6. The one sold in Bass Northwest are US made. I bought my L2000 from them; and it said clearly it's made from US. Yeahh....that's pretty scary huh? G&L site do not mention anything about this.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Here's what I know about these:
    G&L's biggest distributor in Japan approached them with the idea of doing a tribute series in order to make copies of G&L at a more affordable price. They, of course, would need to use G&L hardware in the process. At some point (I'm speculating), G&L decided to endorse these instruments outright, hence the G&L logo on the headstock. They are not, however, built by G&L directly. I can't speak for the quality, but someone on another BB didn't think they were too bad. I don't think they're available here in the States. This info came from the www.guitarsbyleo.com bulletin board over a year ago, when this topic came up. If you do a search, you should find a link to an early promo for these guitars that didn't have the G&L logo.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois