Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Japanese J basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChRiS bE, Jan 2, 2003.

1. hi guys....happy new year by the way.....

I would like to have some oppions on Japanese Jazz basses (arround the 89/90 period) Any known problems or downsides?

What about good things?

Thanks for your time :D

EDIT: your title may have been offensive to some members

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have played a couple, and they're good J-basses. I've never played an american one (not that i can remember anyway), so I don't know how they compare to those, but if you compare them to MIM's they are much better, IME. Good playability, good fret dressing, nice sound. The ones I've played were nice bangs for the buck.

3. I have a Jazz Special I bought back in '89 with the PJ config. Small neck, Candy Apple Red, sounds good, and a cool bridge where the strings don't have to be pulled through those small holes which leave the bass a scratched up...My second bass...sounds great and plays nice!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've played 2 or 3 and thought that the quality surpassed their American made counterparts.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been standing on a soapbox singing the praises of my MIJ Jazz in another thread. Mine is mid 80's vintage - I can't remember what year I bought it, but it was when the Japaneses versions first came out. Pickups and some hardware have been replaced. I rarely pick up a J bass, American, boutique copy, or otherwise, that I like the feel of nearly as well.

:)

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I love my CIJ Jazz. Excellent tone and playability. Nice neck, and it doesn't look too shabby either. Headstock is signed by Wooten, so I think I'll keep it. :)
    Doc

7. I have a fretless MIJ J, just like the one snyderz has minus the Wooten sig. I also have a MIJ fretless Fender A/E. it has a J neck but a p-style body a piezo bridge + the p pups..a very nice bass IMO. Oh! yea I also have a MIJ 75 reissue...I should take some pic's of the three of them together... All nice basses..I think most mij's have a more vintage feel to them than the later MIA's..

8. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Hi! Last week I went and bought a MIJ Jazz Bass from a friend of mine. It's surf green so I think it's one of those 60's reissues, I had a similar strat recently. Here's some thoughts:

+Great bang for the buck, at least in the Europe where the prices of American Fenders are astronomical :)
    +Great vintage looks and excellent quality of construction
    +Absolutely great, barky sound
    +The electronics were better than their reputition
    +Keeps tuning
    +Good overall playability, but
    -neck could be better, especially up on the high frets. My Yamaha and Warwick both play noticeably better
    -sound could be better up on the neck, and i've found that the sound benefits from the high action more than my other basses. OTOH it's a vintage style instrument and i'd keep the action relatively high anyway
    -I'd prefer a maple fingerboard, but they seem to be quite scarce in MIJ reissues

9. Thank you very much for your replys (sorry ryan for title)

The bass i am looking at is a Fretless MIJ Jazz

I have been in the market for an UNLINED fretless for a while now and was about to spend the extra cash of a warwick.

I wanted a fender really but all the new ones are lined and the unlined old ones are quite expencive..

This one looks quite tidy and is only £280 ($450)

The right choice you think?

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    At that price that is a steal!
    Go for it, you won't be dissapointed!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know if they still make it, but for a few years there was a '75 Jazz reissue that had an ash body and a maple on maple bound neck with black block inlays. I almost bought one in about '96-97 but played a NOS Peavey Palaedium and fell in love.

Chris, jump all over that fretless, they are fantastic basses. Great find.

12. I just happen to own a MIJ jazz special(p+J)fretless with a beautiful rosewood,unlined fingerboard. I've played this bass steady for about 10 years(it was my main bass),and never had a problem..although a few years ago I had the fingerboard sanded and epoxied due to the strings eating it up. if you use roundwound strings expect to do this at some point..other than that,I would say you will enjoy that bass for many years to come...at that price you mentioned,it's a steal...

13. Yo...me again...

I have now closed the deal on the MIJ jazz.. :D

I can now show you a pic from where i am getting it from

(even with the shipping from the US to the UK it still works out cheeper than buying it from the uk. but i have never seen one in the uk anyway!!!! )

The total cost to me is gunna be $600

($420 for the bass + shipping)

http://basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/2708

A good deal I feel...??

14. chRiS bE,you scored a nice bass;) . what type of string do you plan to use? the ad said there were flats on most of it's life(which is a good thing for you). I personaly like roundwound,but they tend to chew up a fingerboard rather quickly..I thought about half-rounds or groundwounds....oh well, enjoy your new bass:D

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's a great bass. :)

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    From the looks of the bridge (non-threaded saddles), I'm thinking it might possibly be the lower priced model with a Basswood body & Japaneze pickups. If this is the case, then I honestly think the price was too high for it (though the blank plank is a plus because they don't offer those anymore, I don't think).

For just a little bit more money, you could have gotten a brand new one with an Alder body and USA pickups (except it would have a lined fingerboard).

If it plays and sounds good and you like it, I'd say you got an OK deal, but I was just a bit concerned with the price compared to a brand new one.

Please don't take this reply the wrong way, You asked for opinions so I gave mine, I'm sure it's still a very fine bass.

17. You opinion is valid and taken onboard....thank you...I was unaware of this fact...

I do intend to replace the pick ups as soon as it gets to the uk.

I never knew the was a "cheeper one".

Oh well you learn somthing everyday. :D

18. Bob has sed he will put some rounds on it for me....

i know it will damage it faster but i HATE flats...

19. I know what you mean about flats...they sound exactly that..flat, thats why I'm considering the half or ground wound type. the makers of these type of string claim to have the sound of rounds and the feel of flats,kinda the best of both worlds....we'll see, I'm gonna pick up a set and try'em. I'll let you know...

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I said the same thing about 22 years ago, the first time I tried flats (Rotosound 77's) on my first bass (a fretted Jazz), I absolutely hated them.

A few years later I got a fretless Wal and ended up wearing out the board with Roto 66's. I had the board resurfaced a couple of years ago and decided to give flats a try again, because I didn't want to wear it out again.

That's when it happened.... I discovered TI Jazz Flats (with the help of friendly bass players here on the Internet)!

I've been in Heaven ever since, and all my basses are strung with the TI Jazz Flats.

Have you ever tried the TI's?
    If you haven't, I'd highly recommend at least giving them a try. Like me, you might just find that these strings are something that you wished you had discovered many years ago, seriously!