Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Japanese Lap Pillow offers solace to lonely men

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 15, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    WTH?! I guess this is the answer to the "arm pillow" that they came out with for women not too long ago. Why is this just for men though? :eyebrow:

Lap Pillow for men

[​IMG]

brad cook

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Dear Santa.....

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Okay, lesbians can have it, too. ;)
    I think both the "arm" and "lap" pillow are pathetic :p :rollno:

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ew!

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'll take two.

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    it depends what's under the skirt ;)

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Foam ;)

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ooo tease me why don't you :p

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    can the legs move?

:D

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm not that surprised, Japan has one of the lowest marriage and birth rates in the world. More women are staying single and planning on being that way for the rest of their life. I guess they got tired of being treated like objects and servants.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :eyebrow:

12. I saw a TV program about this once....and for the sole fact you just mentioned, Japan is expected to have a drastic drop in population 50 years from now. For some reason that strikes me as really odd. Other countries are having population booms, and they're going downhill on the baby-making agenda.

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Exactly.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

My economics professor was talking about the issue of population growth in developing countries. The population boom they're experiencing is similar to the one that the US and other industrialized countries experienced during the 20th century. More of these countries are getting access to advanced medicine and health care, so their infant mortality is dropping. In the past, many of these countries would have 6-8 kids because medicine was so poor, about 2 or 3 of their children would survive. Now it's an issue of them growing out of this practice, which is largely a matter of time.

Along with Japan, Italy and Spain have some of the lowest birth rates in the world, contrary to the stereotype of catholic countries being the cause of 'overpopulation'. I asked my teacher why the birthrates for these countries were so low (something like 1.15 for Italy and 1.2 for Spain, less than is needed to keep the population at a constant level). He couldn't really say for sure, but he hypothesized that the women in those countries were sick of dealing with the macho attitude of the men , and also the nitpicking of their mothers-in-law. Of course, that is a generalization, and just a theory. But my teacher is half-japanese, and he said that his grandmother could be pretty callous at times to his mother. So there may be some truth in there somewhere.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Right on all points except for the last one. In general, developed countries experience lower birth rates for several reasons. Some of them are, but not limited to: greater availability of birth control/knowledge about reproductive systems, more women in in the professional world leads to less time for children, which generally leads to starting families later in life which wouldn't leave too much time on the biological clock for big families. Also, developing countries experience higher birth rates for the opposite reasons and having many children in life is their form of a retirement plan. The more kids you have, the more chance you'll be better taken care of when you're old.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    In addition, as mentioned above (in short) there will be a lot of old people left in the upcoming years, greater than the amount of young people in Japan and parts of Europe. We are in a time of semi-transition where our elderly today are living in a modern life but many of them are without modern retirement and health care benefits. With more and more people working (men and women) in the city and with overall lower birth rates, elderly folk in countries like Japan are going to find themselves in a bind if something goes wrong.

Edit: perhaps this new pillow could be one treatment for this upcoming problem?

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Legs. Awesome.

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Unlikely. They seek to replace just that.

19. maybe it's inspired by what Dave lee Roth says in the middle 8 of VH's "unchained"-
    "you'll get some leg tonight for sure!"

20. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Why bother with that? Save up, go all out and get a "Real Doll".