Japanese made Precisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Does anyone have any info on the MIJ P-basses?
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I have a '63 MIJ re issue,one of the best playing basses I've ever had!...in fact I ALMOST prefer it to my MIA!
  3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    While I've never owned a MIJ P-Bass, I have had the opportunity to play a few. They're VERY nice instruments, with top notch assembly and woodwork. The electronics are sometimes a little cheap, though - it varies. But don't let that stop you - it's easy to replace a couple of pots and a pickup if everything else is right.
  4. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out the Ishibashi site(Fender/Japan).Theres a link to it at either Fenders site or the FDP.Maybe both.Thats where they come from and they have full specs and you can buy direct from them.Good luck!
  5. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    you get what you pay for.
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a 82 Squier P bass for ten or so years it was a real nice bass good quality nice sounding and playing. I recently sold it to my Drummer for he decided to take up ther bass and he loves the thing.
  7. I have a P Lyte, Noel Redding Jazz and a couple of Re-Issue Strats, all MIJ
    The build quality, sound and playability is excellent on all of these.
    Never had a standard MIJ P bass, but I would be surprised if they were not of the same quality.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My main axe is a MIJITSO 60's RI Precision. Built about 1985, from the serial no. Basswood body, rosewood fingerboard, Lake Placid Blue. The pots are OK, but I replaced the pickups, which weren't so great. Now it sounds very good (to me). Mine has a really tight neck pocket, also. It's a C neck, but the profile is pretty flat, nothing like the 70's "Louisville Slugger" types.

My understanding is that the first MIJ's had alder bodies, but most of them are basswood. When these were new (early 80's), I remember thinking that they were nicer than the MIA's of the same era. I had a Stingray in those days, and the necks of a lot of the Fenders seemed crude in comparison. My MIJ P is more sensitive to string tension than the Music Man was, and probably more so than the above mentioned fat-necked Fenders, but it can handle heavy strings if the truss rod is adjusted correctly. It did OK with a set of Steve Harris flats.
  9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I'm getting some good info here....thanks guys!...:)
  10. I don't know if this helps, but my guitar teacher (sorry to let you down guys ;)) plays a MIJ Strat and it sounds terrific, he doesn't even have replacement pickups or nothing. I'm sure the bass would be of equal quality, MIA still rules the hardest though!!!! :D