1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese oddball basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cronker, Jun 26, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Hey folks

I remember having a great time reading a read about the unusual and fun basses that came out of the Momo etc factories on this site.
    I have done my searches, but can't find the thread I am looking for.
    It features my very first bass, which was junk, but I would like to read that thread again.
    I have recently become interested in the story of Japanese basses (Aria, Westone etc) and would like the revisit that thread.
    Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
    Cronks.

2. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Bump

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  4. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Why, thank you M.R Ogle. Exactly the thread I was after!
    Mine was a Daion.
    Any reports on that build of instrument? I had mine upside down cos I'm lefty and it was all I could afford at the time.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    On the more modern oddball side, I've got one of these... the perfect bass for playing upside-down as a lefty, except it doesn't have fingerboard inlays and the side dots are on the bottom. Lucky for me I never play on the higher frets... Not sure what country it was actually made in, but at least it's a Japanese brand.

killer2.

karoryfer-samples_fashionbass.

6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Do a GoogleSearch for daion talkbass for starters. Daions are NOT cheap Japajunk from the sixties. They slot right into the Golden Age of Japanese bass product, circa 1978-85. Their mid-line model (Power Mark X) easily competes with the top line model of American makers from the same era.

7. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks. Yes, Google is my friend, and already done.
    I was searching for more info on, what you call, Japajunk! Haha, like that term! Just very interested!

8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Oh golly. There are so many ways to get this rabbit out of the hat, and in this application Google is the first place to look.

(Disclaimer: As an academic librarian of some three decades experience, I think as a research tool Google is overused and misapplied in far too many instances. Most times, Google and I merely nod
    to each other on the street; but we don't speak.)

But back to you. If I were going on a Japajunk-et I would

1) Do a GoogleImages search for "vintage japanese bass" and cherry-pick through the pics, ignoring the ones that are neither vintage, nor Japanese, nor basses.
    2) See a pic you like, click on it to get the image isolated on the screen.
    3) Do a walkback via either "Visit Page" or "Search by Image" in an attempt to get a name for the bass.
    4) Once you have a name, migrate over to GoogleSearch and type in the bass name, followed by <space> pdf, using pdf as a results filter.
    5) Hope the pages you turn up are in English. If they are not, using the "Search by Image" option from GoogleImages tends to bring up pages with a translate option. "Visit Page" often does not.

Keep in mind that most of these instruments are termed "badged" basses, which means that the same product can show up under three or more different names. The book that sorts out the nuances and distinctions among Japanese manufactories, Japanese exporters/distributors, and American importers, AFAIK, has yet to be written.

9. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks Grestch. Maybe an interesting idea for someone to write a book about the Japanese instrument industry.

10. I just got a Daion Power XX Bass, and it's amazing. Definitely not junk.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  12. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    It's actually made by Killer, from what I understand there was another very similar model called Beelze which was a Toshiya signature bass before he moved to ESP. I'm just not 100% sure what country it's manufactured in - since it's one of Killer's cheaper models it might be Korea or China? In any case, it looks awesome. I found mine in the UK.

They still make lots of weird-looking basses, but they're totally different from the old ones. One seriously weird-looking one I wouldn't mind getting my hands on is the awesomely named Blaikutron model from Edwards, though I might be the only person on TB who wants one, haha.

e_rm_blaikutron_3.

ermblaikutron.

And the electronics are even weirder than they look.