1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JAPANESE SG COPY, NEED HELP IDENTIFYING.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lepupegutz, Oct 22, 2018.

1. lepupegutz

lepupegutz

Oct 22, 2018
    First post ever, sorry if I'm breaking any rules here as I'm sure there has been a lot of talks and posts about Japanese copies out there...Anyways, just got this short scale bass, single pickup, 20 frets, no ashtray cover, no thumb rest, apparently it was refinished to a matte black finish, changed tuners and it's VERY, and I mean VERY light as if it was made out of plastic/light wood. Yet, it sounds very good but I'm no bassist, let alone an expert on the matter. I'd like to be able to identify ANYTHING about it, sorry for the lack of info....and THANKS for your help! IMG_7256.jpg IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7260.jpg IMG_7256.jpg IMG_7257.jpg

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Bad re fin aside, this was my first bass guitar, the offset dot markers are pretty memorable. The name on the headstock was Mateo, I purchased it new from a music store for about $110.00 in 1974 - my sophomore year of high school.

lepupegutz and Zooberwerx like this.
  3. DocTT

DocTT

Apr 22, 2018
    Cool! You might want to replace the nut. Some new short scale strings would help, too, since those look like cut long scales. Good luck!

lepupegutz likes this.
  4. lepupegutz

lepupegutz

Oct 22, 2018
    WOW! First of all, thanks for the quick replies! I will make sure I take good care of it...45 years and the damn thing is still going strong! (bad re fin aside indeed...) Thanks for your advice too DocTT! Greetings from Mexico!

TBird1958 likes this.
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Welcome to Talkbass :)

yodedude2 and lepupegutz like this.
  6. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    *applies eyeliner and black lipstick*

I see nothing wrong with the refinish.

lepupegutz likes this.
  7. lepupegutz

lepupegutz

Oct 22, 2018
    Kind people, took it today for a setup, my pal says I might need new pots (vol/tone, it still has the originals apparently, way too noisy due to age), any suggestions?
    Also, followed your advice and just ordered a new set of short scale D'addarios 45-100, let's see how it goes!
    THANKS!

8. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    It looks like a Matsumoku creation. They came out with different brand names. I have a two pickup version "Morris" . They made a lot of basses until their factory burned down, finis. Many are quite good quality, some not so much.

The Guitar Gallery

Here is one in a demo video :

lepupegutz and yodedude2 like this.
  9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    welcome to talkbass. if you are near the rio grande, do let me know. the neck plate is the kind used at the matsumoku plant. they were contractors, and their products used many different brand names, including aria and epiphone (and mateo). assuming the neck plate and the rest of the bass came from the same place, you have a real nice bass there!

new pots and a new jack is a great idea, that was a weak point for some (most) matsumoku products. cts and switchcraft are reliable brands for those items.

lepupegutz likes this.