1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese Squier JV vs. SQ - why the $ difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by friskinator, Feb 28, 2008.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I've been on a hunt for an 80's Squier Japan Jazz bass, but the only ones that seem to be popping up on Ebay or TB are the JV-serial numbers. These are regularly selling for $700+, but I was curious as to why. I paid about half that for my SQ-serial Precision, and from what I've read, they're basically the same as the JV series. Are the JV's rarer, or does something else justify the higher price?

2. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm not JV expert, but I have a later one and did a little research on MIJ Squiers. There is a difference between the JV's and SQ's, as far as I have read and researched. It is said the very early JV's were built with MIA parts, including the P/U's. I'm guessing those are the $700.00 basses (at least to the buyers who know the difference). The later JV's, and into the SQ's, were built with MIJ parts--including MIJ P/U's. The later the build, the farther away from US specs. The earlier it was built, the more it is worth to people who really know these basses and guitars. Others will pay inflated amounts of $$ for anything with a JV serial number. All JV's are not created equal. That being said, SQ's are their little brother, and the "E" series the cousin.

Billy-Bob