japeness made fender p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Jan 21, 2001.

1. I was wondering how the MIJ. p-basses ranked with the american standard, I read somewere that the japeness fenders in the 80's were better then the american standards but I don't know if thats true if anyone knows any info on the japeness made p-basses would be appreticated
  2. ok someone has to know something about MIJ b-basses, does anyone own one?
  3. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    I've got a Japanese P bass and I love it. Mine's made of alder, not basswood, and has the finest neck I've ever played. I've heard a few guys over at the fenderforum complain about the electronics but I never had any problems. In fact the pups and pots seem as good as the MIAs to me. JMO

4. I agree with Mark, I have one, and it's great. It's light, has a great tone, and has a wonderful neck. I would'nt swap it for a MIA (well, maybe a genuine pre '65). The necks were modelled on the early basses, with small guitar frets. I've never heard of a Japanese one having any neck problems. If you can get one, I say do it.
  5. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I played a Japanese made P-Bass at a local shop. Sounded great, played nicely, but the neck was already beginning to warp... even though it was brand new. The salesperson, a very young man, was thrown for a loop by my discovery. He swears that they've never had that problem before. However, the only guitar I've ever owned that wasn't made in Japan is my Martin. The warped neck was probably a fluke since I've never had neck problems with my Yamahas or Ibenez. Japanese craftmanship is NOT shoddy. Just make sure you don't buy ANY guitar before you see it, or at least make sure you can return it if you order online.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I did the unthinkable, and ordered one from a GBase dealer. According to the serial #, mine was made around 1985 or so. I've had it for about a year, and I really like it. I haven't played many American Standards, and I'd hesitate to say that my MIJ is "better" than a MIA, but it's pretty good. The Am. Std. has a graphite reinforced neck and some other improvements. If you browse the FDP, you'll see that some Fender-philes REALLY like the Am. Std. electronics. I didn't like the pup that came with my MIJ, but it sounds good with a Seymour Duncan Hot for P Bass. The neck is a C, but pretty flat compared to some '80's P's that I've tried. I see no reason (other than G.A.S. ;) ), to look elsewhere.

Oh, hey darth, when you say the neck was beginning to warp, do you mean that it was bowed up toward the strings? I've noticed that mine requires a little more attention to truss rod tension than some basses I've had with beefier necks.
  7. I own a Noel Redding Jazz and a Precision Lyte, both MIJ and both just as well made as any MIA I’ve owned or still have. They also sound great.
    Never had a problem with a warping neck on either of these, even in the damp UK climate.
  8. darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Mr Flatwound
    No, the neck was bowed away from the strings just slightly. Like I said, it was probably a fluke. It could have been... and it does happen... damaged during shipping. My own MIJ guitars have had zero neck problems, even through EXTREME conditions (I used to play in a punk band).
  9. Those Noel Redding basses are great too, a shame they stopped making them. They are the closest thing to a vintage Jazz you will come across.
  10. SubDude

Jan 22, 2001
    Where can I lay my hands on one of those Noel Redding Basses?
  11. There's one on ebay right now, do a search for Noel Redding
  12. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    okay, I give up, I gotta comment: I love my MIJ P-bass! the MIJ line gives you American-made quality for a fraction of the price. that's why Fender's discontinued the majority of their MIJ line.