1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jared Followill - Kings of Leon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by redstrand, Jun 4, 2007.

1. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Always liked these guys...heard a new song over the weekend that just had the greatest tone.

"Knocked Up" was the track.

the kid is young but has a great groove and tone going on.

2. fvbodyboarder

fvbodyboarder

Aug 5, 2007
    does any one know what bass distortion he uses? or maybe has any clear pictures of his pedal board. i know he uses a thunderbird thru a ampeg svt classic but have no clue what pedals he uses.

thanks

3. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    From BassPlayer:
    Gear:
    Basses:
    Gibson Thunderbird and ’68 Gibson EB-0 with D’Addario mediums
    Rig:
    Ampeg SVT Classic head and 8x10 cabinet
    Effects:
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff fuzz, and MXR M133 Micro Amp boost pedal
    “The EB-0 has a good sound—deep and warm—but it’s pretty much one sound.”

4. The new album hasn't really grabbed me yet. Aha Shake Heartbreak, on the other hand, I dug right away. It's one of my favorite rock albums of the past few years, mostly because of how the bass carries the whole thing. The bass lines are really well crafted, and I like how he jumps back and forth between registers in just the right places. He really knows what he's doing.

5. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I like AHA a bunch. I just started to zero in on the bass tone after hearing knocked up. Guess my car stereo was rockin that day.

6. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i love kings of leon, great live band as well, quite different to what i usually listen to but they rock.. calebs voice is amazing!

the bassist has some great simple but fun and interesting basslines, i also really like his use of tremelo effect on the latest album. he has great tone especially when he plays with a pick..

my favourite album is possibly the first one youth and young manhood, then i like because of the times and aha last, still aha is an amazing album.. talented young guys!

7. cavcha1

cavcha1

Mar 29, 2008
    Do you know which Big Muff he uses? There are so many available these days.

Many thanks!

8. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    *revives*

anybody else love this band? i really like how bass-driven it is. all of his lines are really dynamic.
    oh yeah im totally buying their new album TODAY!

9. AndysRipper

AndysRipper

Jan 9, 2008
    Are you kidding me?

Hes not original at all, thats my opinion

10. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Saw them on SNL last Saturday...

11. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Seems like very basic bass. Nothing that I've heard them makes any of their music stand out as anything new at all. The songs are good, they look alright and they can play ok but I really have the impression that I've heard it all before.

12. One of the best new bands out there...check out a Canadian band called The Dudes, they have some great songs too.

13. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

+1 took the words right out of my mouth...alot of todays bands or at least the ones that plug themselves on SNL all have that same sound.

14. *RE-OPENS*

OK So i'm guessing alot of you've heard the new album.

The first track "closer" and what i think is the strongest song on the album. Been searching around and its spooky hook is played on the bass!! So what the hell pedal is he runnin it through>?

Can the Line 6 DL4 do that?

Also if you haven't heard the track...
    Kings Of Leon - Closer

15. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    I almost like them...heh!

16. ben1787

ben1787

Sep 21, 2008
    Ok guys before you start slagging him off I want to bring something to your attention. He is 22. He has now written 4 albums and still being so young he is still developing.

A of people think his basslines are not original, maybe they are maybe they're not but the thing I like about him is the dynamic way he plays and the tone he produces.

He still has a long way to go. If anyone in this forum has done more than him before 22 then I will eat my hat, coat and gloves (it's cold this morning) wait until he has fully developed before you criticize him.

grahamrowell likes this.
  17. Louie_W

Louie_W

Oct 18, 2008
    Does anyone know how to get the kings of leon sound on the cheap? If u add the price of all that gear im guessing it would be in the region of £3000. Is it all about the pedals he is using?

18. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I stole Because of the Times from a buddy and have been hooked ever since..these cats are the real deal - they know how to write a tune. He was 18 when they wrote that first album - I agree with ben here, he can play the bass with some tenacity and isn't afraid to get out in front; he's like McCartney with that thing. (Cue hating for comparing him to McCartney)

deathbyhappy, where'd you find that interview? He's got a badass tone on that cut, if you told me it wasn't keys, I'd call you a liar. Interesting what you can do with effects.

Lou; I've gotten tone like his with a jazz bass with old elixers on it, he does use a couple effects, namely the tremolo and delay on Black Thumbnail and On Call, but it shouldn't cost you six grand. Hit a music shop and experiment, see what you can do.

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I dig his playing a lot.

No, he's not a virtuoso and I don't think anyone was arguing that he was. But he's a lot more than your typical eighth note root player so prevalent in today's radio rock. Solid tone, melodic and creative lines with occasional (and tasteful) use of effects and a good sense of groove.

A couple of his lines that I like:

Ragoo
    Black Thumbnail
    Manhattan

20. kitchen mouse

kitchen mouse

Nov 10, 2008
    Texas
    I think hes a really talented bass player, kind of reminds me of nikolai from the strokes. especially on stuff like King of the Rodeo, Slow Night So Long, the old rocky garage band kind of stuff.

Also, has anyone heard the fuzz on McFearless? It's huge!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021