1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jared Warren / Big Business (metal content)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by amos, Mar 10, 2008.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I have not yet found a post dedicated to this guy and this group. For this unfamiliar, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Business_(band). Cody (drums) and Jared (bass) are one half of The Melvins. Buzz (guitar) and Dale (drums) complete the current Melvins line up. Last two times I saw the Melvins they were touring with Big Business, and both groups did an awesome set. The second time I saw them, the Melvins did the sickest rendition of "Another Fourth of July...ruined" (a Big Business song) with the dual drummer frankenstein kit it was just brutal.

Cody has ample skill to stay right in time with Dale, he just kills it, and this is after playing an entire set with Big Business. Then there's jared's tone, which is the first bass tone I have heard which covers all the sonic requirements of sludge metal w/o any guitars. Go see them live, it's brutal.

Some friends of ours, popular PDX local act "Red Fang", are playing a few shows with Big Business soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-Fd5KuXaU <--yeah, that's Dale playing guitar, lol.

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I saw them open up for Tool and while I really liked them live, on CD (and, to some extent live) they start to get really same-y after a few songs. I've definitely seen better/heavier sludge bands, and to be quite truthful I've never really understood why so many people think they're that sludgy (the only album I have of theirs is Here Comes The Waterworks, for what it's worth).

While he is a monster player (and a very powerful singer, I might add) Jared's tone has never really seemed that heavy. It's kind of like a neutered Al Cisneros, or maybe it's just too dark/low in the mix on that record. Check out OM's Pilgrimage, and you'll really see what a drum and bass duo can do with doom-y material (plus, technically, Big Business have a guitarist/noisemaker too)

Cody, though, gets two thumbs up. He's a monster, and seeing him do an extended Lateralus solo with Danny Carey was a highlight.

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    You're right, with Cody's drumming, they aren't very sludgy, it's possibly the fact that I kind of think of Big Business as just a part of The Melvins when in reality they are two separate entities. For instance Jared does all the vocals on my favorite Melvins song. The whole metal genre thing drives me nuts though.

I agree about the repetition on CD thing too, I noticed that immediately after hearing "Here Come The Water Works". Their first CD is worth checking out though. Thank's for the heads up on OM's Pilgrimage

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I guess I kind of just have Melvins frozen in my head as the three dudes who recorded Gluey Porch Treatments, so I must know--what Melvins songs does Jared sing?

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    "A History of Bad Men" off of "A Senile Animal", which came out in 2006 I think. Edit: errr, PM.