Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jargar strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I am seriously thinking about trying out some Jargar strings but not sure which ones. Does anyone have any info on tension for the Light (dolce) and Med (mittel)? Also which of these would be best for slap playing?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Dolce (green) are thin like solo-tuning strings, that means thin enough to be tuned one whole tone higher.
    The mediums are still very comfortable. Lee Rocker uses them. (a well known slapper)
    I prefer the Forte (reds) gauge. They have a stronger, warmer tone with more sustain. (but I don't slap, I play jazz pizz only)
    Hope this helps!

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    One more question concerning Jargar strings. How is the sustain?

Thanks
    Kevin Lee

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Short.
    They're typically orchestra strings, and there's a lot of dampening material under the outer wrap, in order to give a smooth, gut-like tone. That's a trade-off.
    If you want an orchestral-type string with a longer sustain, check Pirastro Obligatos for instance. (synthetic core)

P.S. Instead of starting another thread, why didn't you simply reply to my own answer? Just a hint to help you with the forums.