Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jargar Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Packinmn, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I play 99% pizz (blues, roots music) and am looking for something with gut-like tone and sustain. However, my bass responds much better to strings with higher tension than gut. I am currently using Obligatos which I enjoy from a tension and playability standpoint. I like their nice round attack, but the sustain is longer than I care for and the tone has somewhat of a bright, metallic edge on my bass.

I have searched through the archives and from what I can tell, Jargar strings seem like a good choice. I am wondering whether the Dolce guage Jargars are comparable to Obligatos from a tension standpoint or if Medium would be a better choice? Also, Francois, I have read in a few posts that you use the G & D from Jargar, but choose other strings for A & E... given that I do not really ever bow, is there any reason you think the Jargar E & A would not be a good choice for me?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It's not easy to compare the tension between strings made of completely different materials.
    The Jargars are loaded with dampening material which gives them stiffness.
    I'm not familiar enough with Obligatos, since I don't like them, to answer your question regarding tension vs Jargar gauge choice.
    I'd say mediums.
    The Dolces are more in the gut tension range.
    I use Flexocor ('92) A & E because they have better articulation, a little more sustain and growl, while being very warm.
    I find the Jargar E&A too muddy, although the Dolces E&A are better because they're less stiff and dampened.
    I'm speaking from a pizz-only point of view.

HTH!

3. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for your input... I appreciate it!!!