Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jargar: tone and sustain

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by elrick5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. elrick5

elrick5

Aug 8, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I'm considering trying the Jargar dolce or mediums. I'm a bit
    intrigued by the "gut-like" tone and ease of bowing, but am somewhat worried about too little sustain. I would expect a pickup to make up some sustain. Who has some experience, good or bad with these string? Can anyone compare them to the Corelli 370TX's or bowing and pizz? How about durability? Thanks!

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Jargers sound more "gut - like" than Corellis - thumpy. There is some sort of deadening material in the winding to make them sound that way. They bow well. They are also softer than 370s, which are fairly low tension strings. I play amplified a lot and liked them, but missed the sustain. Also the Dolces (which is the only Jarger I tried) seemed to wimp out when I had to really dig in and play hard, especially the E on my bass - not surprising.
    Dolces would be ideal for beginners, as they are very comfortable. As always, the choice depends on what you need from a string, your bass and the way you play. I went back to Corellis.
    As far as durability of Dolces, I don't know as they were only on for a month, but I think they are a steel core string, so should be pretty stable for a long time.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yes, Jargars are very dark-sounding with little or no sustain.
    They're available in three gauges though.
    You may find them too muddy for pizz playing so beware.
    They are an orchestral string first.