Jarrah, neck wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jublian, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ok, heres a question probably aimed more at Australian Luthiers. Is jarrah any good as a neck wood?

I have made a body, originally intended for a guitar but i really feel i'd like another bass.

also which of the following woods would best be suited for a fretted bass, as they the only ones i have easy access to

Baltic Pine
    Victorian Ash
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I vote for the BLACKBUTT !! Never heard of that before :p

the blackbutt bottom bass
  3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I hadn't heard of it before either, but apparently its a member of the eucalyptus family (eucalyptus pilularis)
    here's a site w/ some info
    I don't know how well it would work for a neck though.
    plus you'd probably have a hard time finding a piece without a crack... :bag: ok, yeah, lame joke, sorry.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    My wood info is at work, which I'll be away from until Wednesday. So unfortunately, I can't post my reference. And it's slightly possible I'm thinking of the wrong wood. But if memory serves...

Jarrah was one of the woods I had considered to be good for a neck, based on its strength, stiffness, and weight (actually density). However, I've come across at least one reference that said it lacks stability, as in it has righ reactance to moisture and/or temperature. On that basis, I wouldn't use it for a neck.

Maybe Matt (fbb) has some thoughts on this.
  5. Based on replies from the previous gentleman about reactance to moisture/temperature, I wouldn't use jarrah for a one piece neck but may consider it where it could be used as a thin neck laminate in conjunction with more traditional and stable neck woods such as maple or wenge or as a top or back cap maybe where there isn't a lot of tension requirements.

From memory, one of the local luthiers here in Australia was looking at other possible local candidates for neck laminates such as beefwood, gidgee and some of the other remote woods which appear to be a bit more stable than jarrah. Maybe you'd like to check these out. Ray from Supreme Wood in Victoria at http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/supremewood/index.htm did have access to some of these woods in the past. Check out his timber samples under Links or email him from the home page and see if he has a catalogue still.

I've seen one 6 string bass with a neck made out of local wood laminates and by geez it was a heavy instrument.

6. I may use blackbutt for the neck, unless some one can advise directly against it and use jarrah for the fretboard.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Here is the source where I found
    Make your own judgements, of course.