Jason Brown in Laguna Niguel

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I was lucky enough to visit yesterday with ace southern California doublebass luthier Jason Brown in his relatively new work home at The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Niguel, California. A lively and bright group of people all pull together as one happy team there. Jason has quietly built a performance tested reputation as one of a very few top flight repair and custom setup doublebass luthiers based in southern California. We got a chance to talk over lunch a wide variety of bass repair and customizing procedures that he uses to full effect for professional and amateur players alike. I was very impressed with the C extension and raised tailpiece saddle that he had made for one of the basses in the shop for some performance tuneups. A quietly confident person with a great sense of humor, Jason brings many years of playing and luthier experience to this fine jazz oriented guitar shop. The orchestral players and jazz bassists that frequent the shop dovetail easily into the good energy there. I look forward to another visit and will drop off some bass work for him on my next visit to southern California.

Attached Files:

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree. I think Jason could have a bright future in So Cal. A lot of guys are finding him now that he's left Lemur. Roland Wilfer was singing his praises at the last NAMM show. He definitely has some skills. His list of "name" players is growing.

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    He worked on both my Spada and 1810 Tyrolean while at Lemur and did an excellent job.
    Louis

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It will be interesting to see how he fares. The only issue I see is that he's in Laguna Beach. The drive from LA or the "Valley" is horrible. Lisa at LA Bassworks is so stacked with basses that even after moving to a larger location, you still can't walk in the door until things are moved around. She's amazing, but there is definitely room for someone with Jason's skill, knowledge and demeanor to do very well in the LA area. I'm sure a number of the San Diego guys will be coming up to him as well.

5. Thanks for sharing this, I was looking for a luthier after having recently moved to SoCal and found him partially through this thread and also based on a recommendation from his former colleague at Lemur. Jason did a terrific job fixing the top (and other issues) on my 1850s Tyrolean flatback. The bass is sounding and feels better than ever. Definitely looking forward to going back to him with other jobs.

B String likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021