Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JAson Carter w/Ragatal - Fragments Of Grace Review

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 9, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    As soon as Steve recomended this cd to me as some of his best none solo work I went out and bought it having nevere heard a single track of it. (Lucky for me I found it on amazon uk).

So shall we begin basically this is a contemporary spanish guitar album as it says on the cover but it features three other instruments Tabla, Electric Violin, Bass guitar (You'll never guess who play that one ;) ) So therefore with the tabla this becomes more of a world music fusion to once again quote the cover.

First thing I did being an avid fan of Steve was no not play the cd but read the cd booklet to make sure he was on it and it turns out he play on 3,4,7,8,9&10 which is good. It took all my strength to not just put it on track 3. The beginning of this album is very slow and relaxed you feel that Jason Carter just isn't playing enough as he plays what we would consider a background loop I just feel that it always need something more.

Track three the introduction of Steve to the cd is good but at 17:31 mins it does seem abit long but when you hit the middle mark and Steve comes in with those fantastic fretless lines you just feel like this is what you werwe waiting for. the combination of Steve and Jason is fantastic each swaping from the background to the foreground and never playing to much.

The next track is one Steve Cowrote with the main star of the cd and this to is brilliant very mood like you can hear alot of potential in Steves playing because remember this cd is before he'd done any of his solo bass stuff.

My favorite tracks have to be 5,7,10. Track 5 really opens the album up it moves from relaxing mood music to brilliant flaminco guitar.

Track 7 is the brilliant Canon writen by Johann Pachebel which we all know and love it really showcases the skill of the violin player the song is a perfect addition to the cd.

Track 10 is amazing finishes the cd off perfectly. Very slow and mellow yet it has a lot more life then the beginning of the song it allows the cd to finish on a happy note.

Overall this cd is brilliant. After a slow begining the album really opens up in to one of the best spanish guitar albums i've heard in a long time. I highly recomend this cd it one you could listen to over and over again. Go out and buy it today

Really sorry for the long post :( but I had to have my say hope you guys find this help full.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

thanks for that! You've even made me want to go and listen to it again! :) Not heard the whole album for a long time...

take care

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net