1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jason Long

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Toneman, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Does anyone know why all of Jason Long's bass instructional videos are gone from you tube? He had videos showing bass parts to some great songs mostly Motown. I wonder what happened and if it's a copyright issue?

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'll ask him if I see him.

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Thanks, I really enjoy his videos! great player with great tone and feel.

4. beam2611

beam2611

Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah what happened to him? he also had an account on youplayalong.com, and those videos too are all gone...

5. Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is he on facebook or here on talkbass?

6. Counterpoint

Counterpoint

Nov 3, 2011
    I was really disappointed when I recently wanted to watch him play Jamerson's line to You Don't Have to be a Star and found all of his videos gone. I've found his videos to be instructional, inspirational and just fun to watch. I know that Marlowe DK has had problems with his play along videos on YouTube, and I think Jason had to move to YouPlayAlong for the same reasons.

What really pisses me off is that the record companies seem to go after the truly exceptional players. You can still find play along videos on YouTube of someone massacring the same songs that Marlowe or Jason had to take down. YouPlayAlong still has dozens of play along videos of varying quality.

I think it's stupid for record companies to object to play along videos, since they don't prevent me from buying music. In fact they tend to get me interested in artists or songs I didn't know about. His video of "Streetbeater" made me more interested in Quincy Jones' music, for example.

It is possible that BassPlayer may have complained that he was using their transcriptions but again, his videos only serve as excellent advertisement for them, and made me want to purchase them.

Mr. Long may be planning on releasing his own instructional videos for profit, or starting his own website.

He may have joined a band and entered into contractual obligations that obliged him to take down the videos.

He may have grown tired of fielding questions from aspiring bassists blowing up his inbox or asking for tabs.

That being said, I think this is his Facebook page. I remember his YouPlayAlong profile saying something about aviation/piloting. And he likes Flea.

Jason Long | Facebook

Perhaps a few respectful reminders from the bass community about how helpful his videos were might persuade him to repost them.

7. Luvvie

Luvvie

Apr 17, 2012
    Jason Long is an awesome musician and a great inspiration for aspiring bass players. This is the reason I downloaded all his videos (or most of them) from You Tube in the event that one day they just might not be available for some reason. It appears I was right to do this and so can still enjoy them. I would be happy to make these available but of course only if this was agreeable to Jason Long the copyright owner of the videos. Not sure how one would get that permission.

8. Hi Guys

He's back :)

accentedpassingtone

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021