Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newstead's Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil_bass_boy, Jun 23, 2003.

1. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Hey,

I am going to (try ;) ) recreate the Jason Newstead Sadowsky, which is pictured below. Its the J-Bass with the pearloid pickguard. It's a five-string I know that. But, for the Sadowsky nuts here, I need to know the specs. I looked around the Sadowsky website (sadowsky.com) and couldn't find any. Could anyone give me a link to specs and such?

Thanks.

The picture

[​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Bass Player mag did a article on them a few years back, I remember reading how they were built with neoprene gaskets to keep his sweat of the electronics. I could look in my archives if you want, I have EVERY issue of Bass PLayer as well as Bassics, they might have done something as well. You may want to E-mail Sadowsky, they have great customer service from what I have read in the Forums.:)

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It's a vintage 5 with a maple board, pearloid guard, black finish. Nothing out of the ordinary. Black hardware is an option. The Sadowsky site should tell you all you need. Take your time and view all the pages:D

Rob

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I read he had his pups potted because of the sweat. He would test them by submerging his bass in salt water in bathtub...or so I recall.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I half-remember hearing that the pickups were moved closer to the neck than stock on at least one of the 8 or 9 basses that Mr. Sadowsky built for Mr. Newsted.

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I think there was a thread about that a while ago... I believe it was the 24-fret model.

8. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

I Believe that bass was the one Roger just built for him.........Check out the web site under "in stock"..It explains this.

9. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Jason appeared on Bass Player magazine's cover with his Sadovsky Modern five with 24 frets and EMG pickups (not really sure, but I think they are EMG) and he claims he'll be using that axe on upcomming gigs with Ozzie and Voivode.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This is Jason's newest:
    [​IMG]

And yes, as an employee and friend of Jason's, I've had the opportunity to play it. :bag:

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    as an employee & friend to Roger, I played it before you. :p

:D

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    *drewls on keyboard*

So you know jason himself?! :eek:

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, we hang out whenever he's on the east coast. Drop on by www.chophouserecords.com where I do most of my work for him moderating the message boards.

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Check you PM ;)

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey Nino,

Does this mean that tplyons got it sloppy seconds?

By the way, which one of you can pee farther?

16. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    :p hahahaha