Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newstead's Tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Nov 17, 2003.

1. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Im a big Metallica fan from their old "Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets Days" and I just picked up their Cunning Stunts DVD the other day. Any way, the real question is what or how does one achieve Jason Newsteads sound on songs like: Aint my biatch, King Nothing, One, and Wherever I may Roam. Those were the songs in which I felt that particulary crunchy tone was most prevalent. I appreciate any help that is given. Unfotunatley, I am also expecting many posts telling me I should find my own tone and not to copy anothers, but too bad. I really dig this tone and want to replicate and experiemt with it very badly.

Thanks Again

2. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    For starters..........

You need a Sadowsky.......or at least a Sadowsky Preamp.

He also plays through Ampeg SVT Classics.......and uses the old mighty Ampeg ISO-Vent cabinets (he did in his earlier days)

......when he did play with Metallica.

Try and here him on their album 'And Justice For All', you almost can't........he's been buried.

Jason also used a lot of Alembics for the black album back in the day.

You must also remember, your comparing a studio polished album to your own bass tone. Who know all the effects used in the chain.....could be a Bob Rock special in there somewhere.

Not to mention the foam fort he built to record the black album. (Check out the two part movie "A Year and half in the life of Metallica")

Hope this helps a little.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    he recorded with spectors, too...

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    A little note about his playing technique. I read an article by him in Bass Player with him explaining his picking techniques. He uses a 1.00 MM Triangle, clasped between his middle and index finger and his thumb, with his pinky holding to the bottom strings for stability and he palm mutes his bass. Go figure.

~Patrick

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    mid boost (upside down U on the eq & he uses the sansamp DI for crunch)

6. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    Thanks man. That was what i was wondering, especially how he got that crunchy, tone and it seems like it is through a di.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    His tone on the new Voivod album is very good. IMO much better than the Metallica stuff. Maybe it's because he can do what he likes now that he's out of Metallica. The Sadowsky has a lot to do with his tone though.

8. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    IIRC, the black album is recorded mostly with a Spector.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He does have the most amazing tone, whether he be using Alembic, Spector or Sadowsky...