Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted Live sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dviper, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    im not sure what section to put this in but...
    on the DVD by metallica Cunning Stunts jason newsted has a bass solo and i dont know how to get that sound he has but i love it. is he using some kinda effects pedal? or is it just the bass hes using? how does he get that sound?!?!

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Post-production

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sadowksy PJ4 into a Morley PWB and Big Muff Pi into Ampeg head and large amounts of PA support and post production.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky preamp and i think their is some kind of chorus pedal going on.

5. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    He used a couple of mod pedals live, i think a Phase 90 and a Boss BF-2 flanger... could be one of them, although i don't have the DVD so i'm not sure what you're hearing. I know his rig was very stripped down on that tour, just the Sadowskys, those two pedals, Morley wah and Big Muff into Ampeg SVT2 heads and 8x10 cabs.

6. It wasn't real stripped down. He still had his usual Rack setup with compressors and amps and effects.

I think you're talking about the clean solo? The Bass/Guitar Doodle right?

For that he used some chorus/flange and his Sadowsky bass, into an SVT II.

And Jason never really used the Big Muff pedal like Cliff did, btw. At least, not duing that era. He used a Tech 21 XXL pedal for distortion stuff (like on Bellz).

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005

i was thinking of the Bass Player mag interview from '96, around the same time as that tour/DVD... he said he stripped down his rig to just those pedals that i mentioned, got rid of the rack preamps and effects etc. Maybe he was mistaken? ;)

8. Yeah, it was definatly more stripped down than the rack setup he had before then. But still a pretty hefty rack.

(You'll probably have to copy/paste these links)

This is the rack he was using during the load/reload tours.
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/racksandeffects_files/jasonrack.jpg

Rack 1:
    Furman Power conditioner
    ????
    Ampeg Unit
    Crown Power amp
    Ampeg SVT II
    Ampeg SVT II
    Ampeg SVT II

Rack 2:
    Furman Power conditioner
    Samson UR-5D wireless system
    Rack Drawer with effects pedals
    ?????
    Mesa Boogie - Floorboard control
    Mackie 1402 VLZ pro mixer
    DBX-166A compressor/limiter/expander/gate
    Ampeg SVT II

With his effects pedals in that Rack drawer:
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonfan/racksandeffects_files/newsted%20rig.jpg

Boss Flanger
    MXR Phase 100
    Boss Chorus
    Tech 21 Sansamp
    Tech 21 XXL

And the Morley PWB is out on stage for him.

;)

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sheesh, way to make me look bad Greg.

10. Hey, after all. I did make an entire website devoted to Jason's gear, didn't I? :p (which I'm working on getting back up and running...when I have time)

And BTW Tim - I'm loving the GK :D

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad on all accounts. Which model GK did you end up going with?

12. Uhh...remember? The one you sold me :p

800RB

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dude, serious brain fart on that one. I knew it went to Washington state, but couldn't remember who! I played another 800RB a while ago and wished I still had that one. Oh well, at least its in good hands.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

I know whatcha mean... I love the tone on that solo thingy... Also remember, that that bass was at least tuned down half a step, maybe a whole. That'll help ya along the way a good bit. ;)

15. Yeah - down a half step for all of Metallica's live stuff during that era

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am suprised he would use a compressor with the Sadowsky's.

17. I'm not sure what you're talking about (the only solo I know is the one from Mexico City), but this thread belongs in Recordings.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

"Guitar/Bass Doodle" on the Cunning Stunts video (this, even though much shorter, is MUCH better on both the bass and guitar ends).

And technically it's fine- he was asking questions about Jason's sound- what bass he used, FX, etc.. It's cool bro... Unless a Mod moves it, we're all fine 'round here...

19. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    The next time you watch that DVD, go into the sounds section and select 5.1 digital mix. Play the DVD and listen to only the center channel. Get close and Jason's bass is the only thing in the center channel with James voice. Pretty cool and his tone is very cool. Let me know what you think.

20. Carry on, then. I haven't watched that DVD in a while, so I'll have to check it out later. Thanks.