Jason Newsted playing Fade To Black...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jsbass, Oct 18, 2006.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI

In this video, I'm trying to figure out after the first two beats of the bass and drums, his bass suddenly gets way deeper and growlier. Is this some sort of effect or is he playing on the B string? It almost sounds like hes playing on the low-B, but in the original version of Fade To Black the intro is all done on the E string. So, I'm a bit confused. Did Jason alter the version a bit by playing lower notes or is it just an effect?

Check it out.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like low notes to me, on the B string.

3. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Dang :( , I love that tone. Me wishes I had a 5'er. I've always wanted to sound like that when I play FTB.

4. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Sounds like he is playing it a lot different from the original now that I think of it... anyone got tabs on this?

5. my old band did a cover of FTB when i played a 5er and it dident sound like that. even when i played the lower notes on the B string. he must be using an effect.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021