Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted Respect Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Reverend Duke, May 7, 2003.

1. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    Although I wasn't much of a fan of the music he did during his tenure in Metallica, after reading his cover story in the new Bass Player, I have a whole new respect for Jason Newsted. He really seems like a guy who truly loves the bass and music in general.

I just had to post this. Especially after seeing the pics from the Gov't Mule show.

Thanks.

L

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree, Jason seems like one of the good guys... good solid 'tude. The only thing I didn't like in the interview was where he seemed to disrespect Rudy Sarzo's bass playing. Yeah, Rudy did the spandex poseur thing with Quiet Riot, but his playing shouldn't be judged by his appearance: I thought Rudy laid down some righteous bass on Ozzy's live album Speak of the Devil.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason is a real Musicains Musican a total love of bass playing and music, he has given up having a family and a wife to devote himself to his work. On Metallica Icon last night the first part of the story they had was the real reason Jason left the band they seemed pretty open with it. Metallica now knows what they lost and are regreatfull of what happend. I do hope Jason goes back one day.

4. I miss Jason ...I hope he returns to Metallica,...if he doesnt, i wish him the best! He seems like a cool person to get to know on a personal level.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Check out his old stuff with Flotsam and Jetsam - much more interesting from a pure bass perspective.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    How true.

I hope he never goes back to sellout-tallica. he will do better on his own. Free to be himself and play what he wants