Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 17, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    What do you guys think of him? Has anyone ever heard other stuff of him? I think he`s great... but somehow a way underrated bassist...

Hey guys - I´m a member now !

David

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    did he quit Metallica? I've always thought Cliff was cool, never really a big fan on Newsted, but that's mainly due to the music they play. I can't honestly say I've given him that much of a listen once they turned into a rock band. Is Newsted doing something else now?

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I was also a huge Cliff fan and dissed Newsted as the guy who helped ruin Metallica. He never had the appeal or distinctive sound that Cliff or some others had/have. I still have no interest in Jason for no apparent reason. I actually was thankful that he quit. Maybe now Metallica can get back to playing some good music.

4. you can check out what he's doing from www.encycmet.com They update what he's doing.. he recently played this show with these 2 kids.. a 12 and a 15 year old.. uch.. sad!

I haven't heard his other stuff.. I don't know what it'd be like.. would it be blues.. or would it be heavy metal? lol Well.. he's not bad but not my favorite bassist. Who knows what he can do? We certainly don't!

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It always pissed me off that Cliff was so low in the mix. In my obnoxious opinion, Cliff was the coolest part of the band. ORION.

6. He was!

Ever notice how he and Geddy look alike while they play? (I noticed this while watching Geddy play in the video for "Tom Sawyer") They're both tall and scrawny but play fast. Check it out! hehe

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    ikickuintheballs, once again you are on the money.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    check out the first Flotsam and Jetsam CD, Doomsday for the Deceiver. Jason kills on that one!

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sonicnet.com sends me Metallica news every once in awhile. This week they sent a notice that the remains of Metallica are going back to the studio to start preliminary work on their next album. They are starting WITHOUT a bass player.

Hetfield says they are very "relaxed" and feel free and unburdened by "expectations." No word is given on what they plan to do for a replacement to Newsted...maybe they will hire a seasoned session pro like the Rolling Stones did or maybe they will have auditions or invite a bass player they like or who knows? (They haven't invited me.) Maybe one of them is conceited enough to think THEY can play bass on the studio album and hire a gun to play the bass lines they composed, just the way they composed them, being as Hetfield and Ulrich are notorious control freaks.

jason oldsted

10. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Actually I heard the Flotsam & Jetsam CDs and LOVED Jasons work, he also played with these two kids, and his lines where ****ing incredible...

I heard one solo he recorded with F & J, and you know what he did? SLAPPING ? Slapping the hell out of the bass...sounded like or better than Flea...

David

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    what solo is that? I'd love to hear it.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he only recorded on the first F&J LP..where did you hear this solo?

13. Well, I must say I was disappointed to hear that Newstead was leaving the band. I can't help but wonder who they would would get to replace him. Actually that would be a good thread "who should replace Jason Newstead"? Personally, I have no clue, but I remember I once heard a rumor that when they were taking try-outs after Cliff left, that Les Claypool actually made an attempt at the position, but he was just too much (I don't know how much stock I take in that one). Still, it will be interesting to see who comes along to replace him.
    -Nate

14. FlatNate:

Both Metallica and Les Claypool have confirmed that rumor many times. In fact Les is in Metallica's "Behind The Music" and talks about it.

James' comment was "He was too good and should be doing his own thing"

Les' comment was "Lar's is all, You're not used to playing this type of music are you?.....and I was like, nah you guys wanna jam on some Isley Brothers tunes ?....nobody laughed at my joke. They never called and I weeped...weeped like a little girl."

15. Thanks Chaoslord,
    I wish I could catch more of those "Behind The Music" things. I'll have to see if I don't know someone with that on video.
    -Nate

16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I will probably go to hell for saying this but i always thought that dave elfsan from megadeath could kick the hell out of both metalica bass players!

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, your gonna burn. actually I'll agree about liking his stuff better than Newsted's, but then again I can barely hear Newsted.

18. e-kill

e-kill

Apr 24, 2001
    Sweden / Stockholm
    as above told... newsted is ok, and Cliff the greatest... but stil, noone who doesnt play bass knows the name... i mean, a ordinary man or women only thinks of metallica as "the band with the singer who looks like a neanderthal", and stil they r like the greatest ever, i mean, WHAT IS THIS ****ED UP WORLD WE R LIVING IN, ppl give more **** about Britney Spears then the ones who rly play and sing and who have done it longer then those **** headed 10 year olds who r topin the charts today... i think it is **** that Metallica works their asses of for a very long time, then someone who doesnt even sings her own single comes and suddenly with some single she has copied the sound from like Metallica or those other bands who have been active for hell'a long time, and the world is goin crazy and thinks it is something new and fresh... Metallica is the best, and stil no one who aint a old fan knows about em. All those teenie boppers is stealin the real rockers publicity by stealin their sound, and it makes me go nuts, ppl who is like "Madonnas single u know where she dances like with cowboys is so fresh", its so stupid i cant even say something against it without throwin out my fist, who the hell doesnt know that single (for an example) is from "sweet home alabama", and thats just an example, it happens everywhere. But if i would list examples i would be busy for a couple of hours so im gonna rap it up now.

Outside the record, the next Britney Spears fan i meat is gonna rest in peace (pieces). So to conclude, rock on metallica fans!!! and all u Spears and N'Sync fans, i'll c u outside ur door gettin shot into pieces...

19. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. Just listen to the LP Killing Is My Business.

20. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    i actually watched the Metallica behind the music plus the Megadeth, They actually talked to Ron Mcoveny Metallicas origanal bassist on both shows, Boy he hated Dave but they never talked really to him why he left, And if i had to put up with the crap Jason did when he joined i probley would have gone nuts, But i think he is an awsome bassist for what he had to endure with all the critisism from fans and the B.S. from James, Lars, & Kirk.