Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Aug 23, 2000.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    First of all i dont like everybody talking sh*t about Newsted( but you are entitled to your opinion).

Cliff is my fave bassist of all time, and I dont think they could of found a better replacement.

I got a hold of a rare Jason Newsted solo, and if any body wants it they can have it( and everyone will apologize for the Newsted bashing). This solo is from a live import form somewhere in Europe. the album is called The Tower Of Strength.

Ive got this song available on Scour Exchange, and if everybody wants, i'll put it on Napster too, cuz you all gotta hear this solo, it's mind boggling!!!!

i GUARANTEE you wont be dissapointed!!

2. Ktulu

Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    snOwblind, I totally agree w/ you about Newsted. He's REALLY underrated by a lot of people. I actually like his style a little better than Burton's (I'll probably be executed for saying that, but oh well). I just think his playing fits the style a little better, that's all. I think that Burton was definitely a better player technically, though. In short, Burton rocked, and Newsted is the best person they could have gotten to take his place, IMHO.

I read an interview with Newsted at bassplayer.com, and according to it he's capable of a lot more than the stuff he plays with Metallica. The way he plays in Metallica's songs fit them, though. I'd much rather hear what he plays than a bunch of light-speed lead-guitar-sounding junk. Some of his lines may be simple, but they FIT. And a lot of the stuff that he does live is anything but simple. It's just that many people won't take the time to listen to what he plays without comparing him to Cliff. Anyway, he's my favorite bassist, and I think he's VERY underrated.

I haven't heard this solo you're talking about. It sounds like it's cool, but I wouldn't put it on Napster. There are several people on this board (including me) that hate Napster, and that may keep them from talking to you with an open mind. Remember, Metallica is responsible for the law suit against Napster, so they don't like it either. Just thought I'd let you know about all that before someone else did. :D

Rock on, man.

3. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    i dont think he is a sh*tty bass player...but basically of what i hear by Metallica he is kinda a dull player. i am also 15 and maybe haven't heard all he can do. i do own the black album to reload, and he just never really impressed me with what he can do on the bass. i mean since i am judging him on 3 cd's and i may not be getting all that he can do. i just always thought that he could of put a little more into his sh*t.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I totally agree with you guys....I saw Metallica play with Faith No More and Guns'N Roses a few years back....and when newsted played his bass solo, he was like slapping and stuff.....it completely blew me away all these little things he's been hiding by playing with Metallica....I didn't know what to think...it totally changed my perspective....kewl guy, too...

5. Hey i want that solo!! can you email it to me??? mrb@txc.net.au

We have Metallica Live in Seattle 89 the solo on there rocks, plus he played To Live is To Die on bass (the soft acoustic bit in the middle) and then the rest of the guys came out and played along. Absolutely rawked. The Cunning Stunts solo seems a let down compared to this, although it was still good :D

Get Cliff Em All video, they show Pulling teeth like 5 times live hehehehehe

Merls

6. bulters

bulters

Sep 3, 2000
    Have you ever heard him play on the first Flotsam and Jetsam album? He shows there that he has the same speed and agility as the bassgod we call Cliff, it was just not as developed as Cliff's playing.

Jason just kicks ass, as did Cliff!

7. Newsted is a great bass player but Metallica is no longer Metallica. They deny ever being metal. Here's a question: How can Jason stand Lars Ulrich?

8. Don't put it on Napster or Lars will kick your ass! lol

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i think they should bhave kept les claypool!!!!!!1 that would be an interesting mix huh? but really awesome.. ok im through =oD

10. yeah... I read an interview in a magazine called R.I.P. once where Kirk was interviewing primus... he said that they didn´t take les because he had to many strings... :D but he still claims he only had four.. :)

but Les in Metallica... that would be weird!

11. Jope

Jope

Sep 10, 2000
    Firstly, Newsted is a brilliant Bassist. He proved this both live and in the studio. But unfortunatley he had to fill the biggest shoes in the world. Cliff (rip) left metallica at a crucial time. Newsted has yet to prove himself a true peer to Cliff. But then who else has ?

12. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    sorry guys, but my piece of shi*t coomputer has been out of commision for a few weeks!!!!! F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, im back and i'll try to mail this solo in the next day or two, you'll love it , it's right up there with Anesthesia

p.s. if anybody has any ideas on how to help me distribute this rare awsome wicked solo, please let me know!!!

[Edited by sn0wblind on 09-12-2000 at 04:33 PM]

13. I have alot of friends who are hardcore into metallica, and metal and punk bands (although Metalica is on their shyt list now). I just thought I would say one thing. I think of Jason as being like Noveselic (Nirvana). Nothing he played was very TECHINICAL (the joke amongst my guitar friends is, you can learn anything and everything nirvana did in your first year). But it worked for what they want to do. For all I know, Novaselic is as talented as Jaco (gonna get flamed for that :D ) but he never had to be. Same thing with Jason, sure he isn't that technical with Metallica, but they are all about Kirk Hamlett (an EXCELLENT guitar player, and here come those flames again :D ) hitting those soaring solos and James just being James. But now I have to say something else. I used to like Metallica alot, but I really missed the days of Cliff (as we all do, even if I am 16) and I began to hate Jason for not being Cliff.. Then i started to chill out, and begin to understand Jason a bit better, and now my position has changed. One Lars and James and Omlett (Kirk) went on their little crusade against napster, Jason left and did some solo stuff (not permenently) because he didn't like how much those guys were into the whole buisness part of it all. Now I respect Jason, both as a player, and as a person, but metallica can kiss my punk-and-metal-listening butt.

Note: After I was banned from Napster, I downloaded every Metallica song I could find (upon getting back). I own the albums, but I don't want to rip 'em, so I download 'em, and I get banned... Metallica.. Get bent!

Ok, sorry, that got off on a rant, and should prolly go somewhere else (another forum).. but it really did start as a Jason post.. really.. honestly...

14. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    if any of you mutha f*cka's can learn sh*tt by ear, i got sumthin for you to try!!!!!!! nice solo by Newsted , very awesome!!!!!!!

P.S. - I even got a program to slow my music down and i still cant learn this damn solo!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by sn0wblind on 09-13-2000 at 08:23 AM]

15. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    Newsted rules!!!!!!I met him backstage at the dallas sanitarium show.I now have my signed hat on a wall and threating any who touch it with death:)