Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Come on Jasonites! Where are you??

:D

He may not compose flashy stuff...but he's still cool as hell :)

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Do a search, i belive there is one, if not a couple threads on him. As a metal bassist speaking..... well.... he was decent. he just happened to be the bassist for a huge metal band. he had some ok licks.......

3. I know there are other threads, but there needs to be a fresh one :D

Yeah...JAYMZ AND LARS screwed him over completely on the AJFA album...I still can't get over that.

His lines to their verson of "The Wait" are just downright amazing.

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, the bass on Crash Course In Brain Surgery is awesome. The whole EP sounds great bass wise.

I think Jason did get screwed over on AJFA as far as the mix went. At that time James and Lars were in charge. Kirk didn't play anything except leads for 10+ years until Load/Reload.

I read in an interview with Lars that he gave Jason a chance to let him know how he felt and if he was thinking about leaving Metallica and Jason denied it. Then within a month he told the band he was leaving. Lars was obviously pissed. Of course this is all coming from Lars so who knows what Jason's side of things are.

I think Metallica was changing to accomodate Jason's need to do other music but the damage was done from years of having an iron grip on him.

He made all the money he'll ever need and got out. I don't think he's amazing or anything but I wish he would get back in the band. Metallica seems tainted without him. I don't want some bass player tagging along just touring with Metallica and James or Bob Rock playing bass on the albums. That sucks.

5. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Best thing about Jason is that he's in VOIVOD !!!

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i saw jason last april play as one of the guest bassists with gov't Mule. I didn't feel he set himself apart with his playing per se, but he did set himself apart from the other bassist (from black crowes?) in terms of putting on a high energy, entertaining performance.

7. Nicely said :D

8. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    How do you know what he made? When has it been stated he was a full partner? What writing credits/points does he have? For all we know he made almost nothing.

Well, we do know he did better than that, but I think you're making a mistake if you think he is filthy rich although it does seem he'll be able to get by without working he also lives modestly as-is (no drug habits, no wife/ex-wife, no kids, no paternity suits, no fancy clothes/cars/homes) and that also shows he's a smart guy but nothing is smarter than his decision to finally join VOIVOD.

9. I just bought the "cunning stunts" (uhuhuhuhuhuh) double DVD.

I don't know whether it's due to monitoring limitations caused by the unusual in-the-round stage setup, but they're not the tightest rhythm section- certainly compared with Megadeth in the "rude awakening" DVD.

It's good to actually hear bass on "one" for once:p , but Newsted's tone and note phrasing on the verses are a bit ragged.

the "destruction" scene is pretty funny:D
    the hanging lightbulbs afterwards are amusing too.
    (I wonder what doing that scene every night on tour must have been like.....)

ps. why does Newsted use 4 basses in the set?
    (two Sadowsky 4strings, two 5strings).
    a 4 and a 5 seems all that's necessary (no tuning differences), and some of the songs he uses a 5 on he doesn't use the low B.

10. How do YOU know he doesn't use them on his free time? Or when he practices?

I'm getting a 5 string..but I doubt I'll use the 4th in a song. It's just plain cool to play that low :D

11. The bass player you saw with Mule on that tour was Andy Hess. He also played with the Black Crowes before they went on hiatus. Incidentally, there is another bass player by the same name that is from Oshkosh, WI. I don't know how close that is to you, but I find that kinda funny. I'm pretty sure they're not the same person... but I've been wrong before ;)

12. I meant in the set, ie. the Metallica live show.
    using twice as many basses as he needs seems excessive, unless he was worried about the sweat problem he's mentioned in interviews.

he's got something like 18 Sadowsky basses in total- it's safe to assume he's comfortably provided for in the money department.

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's what I heard....that he changed basses frequently during each show because he sweat so much and needed at least 4-5 different basses because of it. He also said in a BP interview that the Sadowsky's were specially fitted with rubber gaskets/seals to accomodate his high level of perspiration.
    On a side note, I also read on Metallica's website that Hetfield and Co. were going to get a full-time bass player/replacement and that they had no desire or interest to be a three piece band with just a touring/studio bassist: i.e. Creed.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    And on a side note, as far as opinions go....I think Newsted is a really solid player. He's very melodic in his playing style. The solo bit he did on Cunning Stunts is one of my absolute favorites. It's very melodic and has a very "filling" feel....if that makes sense.
    I have come to the point (finally) where I really appreciate bass players who are really solid in the pocket and aren't about trying to play as many notes as possible, as fast as they can. Newsted always played a solid rhythm but he could really do some cool stuff when he had his little solo parts. I used to automatically stereotype bass players when I would hear them do nothing but play a solid rhythm and not "cut loose" but after many years of listening and playing I have come to realise that most players who have disciplined themselves and use good taste when it comes to restraint...can usually play some unbelieveable runs and solo parts if it's asked of them.
    JMHO :)

15. I've been reading the Metallica news page here-
    http://www.musicfanclubs.org/metallica/news.htm

apparently Robert Trujilo and Scott Reeder are rumoured to be the front runners in the search for a new bassist for Metallica.
    -also an interviews with Jason Newsted re. possibility of rejoining.

BTW what was the Precision style bass Newsted played when he first joined Metallica?
    it was black, with EMG pj's , 21 fret rosewood board and black hardware, with no name on the headstock.
    it looked like it could be a warmoth parts bass.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason is a musicans musican just a real passion for the Bass and a insperation to many. He has been a big influence on me his consistancy in playing but allso when left to his own can be very melodic. Some of his best work was on S&M if you play with the EQ you can here the bass better. When playing live you could allways here him much better then on recordings. If jason goes back to METALLICA i am sure he will have conditions for them. But i would like to see them reunite with rights for Jason. Their live shows are not the same with out him. Jason only has 9 Sadowsky's so far. OUT LAW TORN is a great Jason tune.

17. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, my bad I didn't know you were Jason's personal assistant/accountant/therapist. I was just posting and giving my opinion.

If you watch a year and a half...Metallica they joke about Jason making millions that year and him having plans for those millions. They WERE joking but still. If you think he's not set after 5+ multi year world tours and 5 (or so) multiplatinum albums, you're high.

You don't know what opportunity he was given. What if his songs were just deemed not good enough for Metallica by the rest of the band? If it's better than what James writes then cool, but I've heard the first Flotsam & Jetsam album (that Jason was a big player on) and it's pretty terrible.

You sound like a Metallica fan that hates everything from the black album to current. Jason joining Voivod sounds like career suicide to me.

18. Jason gets a co-writing credit for "my friend of misery" on the Black album.

he does mention in one of the interviews archived on the site I found that he "became very rich" when the Black album took off.

19. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    vivaknoxvegas-

SMASH was stating his opinion the same as you did. Please be more civil and avoid sarcasm and labeling. I don't want a mess to clean up later, mmmkay?

:)

Your friendly Forum Mod...

20. Anyone heard the Echobrain record that he played on? I thought it was pretty darn good...