1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jason Newsted's master track for Dyer's Eve

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Apr 21, 2009.

1. They really shouldn't have turned the bass down on this album. His tone is so...tasty :bassist:. I'm surprised his hands didn't fall off haha :p.

2. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    That guy on youtube has a lot of master bass tracks - very cool!

3. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    awesome awesome awesome. ill never forget my first favorite bands ever.

testament, metallica , gnr!!! etc... vh, rush... zep etc. but its so great to hear the tracks all seperate. im hearing the guitars now for orion.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This is awesome. I wonder how he got ahold of these.

5. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Is that the real thing...or is it isolated from one of the Guitar Hero games? ('scuse my ignorance, I don't know Metallica tunes to be able to know)

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Both are correct. The makers of GH & RB were given access to the original recordings.

c-

7. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I'd like to hear a bass enhanched version of all those master bass tracks instead! It just sounds better with atleast drums on =/

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I heard it was the new Guitar Hero Metallica game (or was it Rockband? Whatever). But the game has all the individual master tracks from all the instruments, I remember seeing a thread somewhere about Cliff's track on Battery, he actually doesn't use the triplets, and he plays (quote unquote) "sloppy", according to alot of people in the thread. I just thought it sounded badass.

9. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Thanks for letting me know that.
    Even though I'm not a Metallica fan, it was great listening. Anyone know if there's anymore stuff like that out there....

10. i heard it as well,it didn't sound that bad.alot of ppl on youtube said it did though.that's suprising he didn't use triplets either,i mean,if he could dish out whiplash,then battery shouldn't have been a problem for him

11. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. He is really a great pick player.

12. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    I love Cliff and have nothing against Jason but the sound/tone of bass is irrelevant for metallica, it practically doesn't exist. after listening to some of these master tracks, especially how good Jason's are, I'd never play bass for metallica because there would be nothing for people to hear from me.

13. His playing is pretty sick, but the tone is so thin. No wonder that album sounds like it has no bass. It almost sounds like the bass is mixed at the same frequency range as the the guitar. Or maybe its just the YouTube audio.

14. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Almost certainly the YouTube audio won't be helping - they compress video files a massive amount.

15. fullmetalht

fullmetalht

May 28, 2009
    The bass was allegedly lowered intentionally on ...And Justice for All. Supposedly as a way of hazing Newstead. Its ridiculously low, and its a shame, cause the songs would've had so much more substance with the basslines. Sorry for some shameless whoring, but if you go to YouTube and search The Frayed Ends of Sanity and fullmetalht, you can see what I'm talking about. I found tabs for the bassline and it was really good, so I put a video up.

16. wicked_child

wicked_child

Oct 19, 2007
    They should release a remastered version of AJFA. I mean, give justice to newsted's skills

17. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    I had the oportunity to meet Newsted several times, and when a person is as nice and friendly as he is, it just makes his music that much better. Not really a Metallica fan, but a big Jason Newsted fan!

18. But then Hetfield and Hammett will have to recognize that Newstead is a better bassist than they are guitarists.

19. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Apparently they didn't try to haze him, James Hetfield's guitar instead ate up all the room in the mids so there wasn't enough room for Jason Newstead's bass to be more audible.

20. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I agree big time. :p

The band has a lot of talent (and more success than I could ever dream of having) but it has started to all sound the same. I have to watch my back when I'm around two of my friends and I start to have an opinion about Metallica; they'll start to verbally assault The Mars Volta for some reason.