Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted's tone on Outlaw Torn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 15, 2005.

1. How'd he get that tone that really cuts through without losing its low end? I like it.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Rig split 60/40 between All Tube SVT and ALL Tube Marshall Guitar Amp and 4x12 cab, Miked up and alot of studio magic.

Hope this helps

3. Uhhhh, yehhhhhhhh. I know I can get it with just my Euro LX, the sansamp and my ashdown. how should I set my EQ?

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You didn't ask that you asked how he got that tone and I answered, no need for funny noises

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    New topic: Isn't it strange how text can make funny noises?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nick: You asked how Jason gets his tone. You didn't ask how with your rig you could get the sound of another rig. If you think it's a matter of EQing, mess with your EQ.

7. Ok I'm sorry. How exactly can I get that tone? I have guitar amps btw, and I have a valve simulator, so I should be able to get pretty close.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    hmmm its difficult cos you don't have anything to split your signal with.

In suppose if you can get hold of a mixer you could set the sansamp to the SVT setting and DI or effect out this to the board or one bass amp and then the other out of the parrallel/or uneffected out or what ever put some mad guitar distortion and then either blend them back together at the mixer or run on to one amp/pa and the other to your ashdown

Either way you need to amps and your probably going to want to place them close together and stand far back so the sound mixes with each other

Just a thought

9. The sansamp has a parallel output so I could send a signal to the guitar amp via that.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You could but thats still a bass signal so you still run the risk of blowing the guitar amp up, at the very worst I think it will sound like poo you'd be better getting a very high gain distortion and running that into another bass amp.

Hope this helps

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY SADOWSKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first thing I noticed when I got my Metro unpacked was deffinition with no loss of the ole bottom! duh!!!

PS: I did a lot of tweeking with my amp and gear before, if the bass isn't sending the signal it ain't there!

12. I'm sure my spector can do a pretty decent impression of a Sadowsky. In fact, it almost gets that tone on its own. Very growly with a lot of low end.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

14. Yes? It can. I've listened to his tone live and i can get it, it's just this is slightly different. And don;t you dare say 'get a sadowsky' cuz I don't like em, the bodies are far too big.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You've never SEEN a sad.

16. Nor do I want to. TaySte just informed me much of Metallica's stuff was recorded with a Spector.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I said some.

Most was recorded on a '69 P-bass

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I noticed for St. Anger, bob used a Spector... and what great tone he had. :barf:

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm not even going to address the very obvious construction, wood, electronics, and hardware differences between a Spector and a Sadowsky. :rollno:

Nick, you need to quit trying to be right all the time.

Yeah, the secret to tone is taking a standard tuned/standard gauge strung Spector, downtune it to C without any adjustments or gauge increasing, and then capo it to be able to physically play the line. 'Cause that's how Bob "I've got more money that God, or at least Ed Roman" Rock does it. :help:

What are we all thinking with our "five-strings" and our "intonation"?