1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jass Bass Buzzzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 393Clevor, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 393Clevor

393Clevor

Mar 29, 2007
    I have shielded everything, grounded everything.. and still it buzzzzes... I have three other Guitars a Carvin LB75P, Schecter 4 string and an Ibanez 5 string.. and those don't hum or buzz..

I bought some copper foil tape and covered the pickups and the control cavity.. then I added ground wires to the pickup foil and cavity foil and all the pods and 1/4 plug...

Any ideas..

100_2362.

100_2366.

100_2367.

100_2368.

added the red wire for extra ground..

100_2373.

Thanks Steve.....

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Try bringing the tape up over the body so that a layer goes over a screw hole. Let the screw actually puncture the tape when screwed. More holes the better I say.

Other than that looks very good, very professional. Much better than mine.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Off topic, but did you have to do any shielding to the Carvin? I'm thinking about an LB 76 and like my basses to speak when told to.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    No advice on the buzz, but is that rust on your frets?????

4. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2011
    you should get rid of it and get a jaZZ bass

5. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    I have rust on my frets too. :oops:

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    A few things I see..

Is all that copper foil grounded? If you don't ground the foil, it will not act as shielding, and make more noise.

You don't need to put foil on the control plate because it's already metal. That serves no purpose.

You should not wrap foil around the pickup like that. Leave a gap somewhere. If you make a closed loop of foil around the pickup it will reduce the treble. Also, is that foil grounded? it must be grounded.

Lastly, shielding only gets rids of that high pitched buzz. it wont get rid of hum from the pickups. Only hum canceling pickups will fix that.