Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jass rules for the double bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by remaster, Aug 1, 2002.

1. remaster

remaster

Jul 17, 2002
    Hello has any body out there got any rules for improvising free jass around if so can u post them here or send them to boffleadtester@hotmail.com if posible post them here

2. Isn't that self-contradictory?
    Which is really my point about allegedy "free" jazz.

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Given the fact that free jazz moves in and out of traditional harmony, and what you play depends on what was just played or what is CURRENTLY being played, there really are no rules except for what your ears and heart tell you to play. I tend to think in terms of melodic lines and the density of what I'm playing in terms of voicings, note durations, etc. I think of the bass as a paintbrush, and try to discern whether or not I need to be playing a more "traditional" line, or if I can play whatever and simply add to the density and color of the situation.

My advice is to check out some Ornette Coleman, specifically "Free Jazz" and "The Shape of Jazz to Come." Both are good educations in free jazz, or the concept of it anyway.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Play for the door in a rock club.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Some forms of "free" jazz do indeed have a form i.e. there's a motif or theme that you begin with and perhaps end with, say the head of a tune or a defined melody. Everyone makes up their own "rules" or has their own way of playing "free" jazz. Personally, I don't really care for "free" jazz where it's just pure "chaos" all the time and sounds like no one is listening to anyone. I've had interesting "free" jazz experiences where musical ideas are put forward in either a rhythmic or harmonic form and are "voted" on so to speak i.e. the group goes with it or leaves it alone.

6. remaster

remaster

Jul 17, 2002
    ok thanks i sort of got it wrong when i said free jazz. But there are some rules for making wakling bass lines like "u can play root,fith,root and a semitone which lead to the next cord".
    so if u had a set of chords like a,c,d,b thats all u would need to make up a tune. Also there is some book with all the jass songs cords writen down in it so if u go to a rehersal and u don't know that song of by heart u can just look up the chords and using these rulse improvise one, dose anybody know what its called. thanks

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Probably the closest you are going to get to this is "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine. Worth the effort... if your understanding of English is better than writing?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Remaster should be fine with Mark Levine's books; after all, he responded once already within this forum. Ever try to post to an Internet site in Italian, or Japanese? Me neither. I still got the gist of what he was trying to say.

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    -"Hey Remaster: you didn't say "tabs" ?
    - "..."
    - "no, no, nothing. It's just that I'm not sure what's free jass in your mind. And I think (I may be wrong) you're more asking smthg like: how do you play a jazzy walking bass line? "
    - "..."

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I know from another thread that s/he is actually based in the UK - so Italian or Japanese doesn't come into it! ;)

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm on vacation, so I'm not going to let myself get sucked any deeper into this. Remaster, you might want to also check out the Jamey Aebersold playalong series; they're a fun way to learn how to improvise. If anyone needs me, I'll be out on my boat...