Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaun Alderete Scarified

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MCT, Sep 21, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I love his work with the Mars Volta, but I tried learning Scarified today, and boy was it a work out. At 1:21. I can't keep the same speed that he has. I thought I had speed but man he's just pumping those steady notes out. Envious indeed. :bassist:

2. Yeah, Juan is one fast player when he wants to be. He was in Racer X with Paul Gilbert for a while, so he must have his chops down! I am really impressed with his playing with The Mars Volta, he has the speed and the groove... very tasty!

Pete

3. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Yep, he's one of the fastest two finger players out there. Scarified is probably their best song too. You ever hear his solo on Live Extreme Volume? Fast, fast, fast.

4. sheehan_17

sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
    ^ ya that solo is nuts.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Cool song, perhaps one of the few "shredding" songs I like.
    I, too, thought it would be fun to learn that song, it's a bit easier with three fingers.

6. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Which Racer-X recording contains the song Scarified? The earlier Racer-X recordings seem difficult to find. I'd love to have a copy of that tune...

7. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Scarified is on "Second Heat", I believe.

8. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Thanks. I'll add it to my list of "desired CD's". I've got Street Lethal on vinyl and a cassete copy of Alderete's solo from the live recording...("the whirling, the twirling, the squirrelling...MR JOHN ALDERTE ON THE BASS!" love it, love it). He's undoubtedly an impressive player and even though he plays far fewer notes these days as a member of the Mars Volta, his playing is just as impressive if not more so. Clearly, he's far more conscious of tone/sound quality, touch, and dynamics of the bass and it shows in his playing on Frances the Mute...

9. if you get the "john alderete" instructional VHS tape you'll see him play scarified w/ the bruce "whatever his last name is" guitar player (not Paul gilbert). Anyways hes got chops to spare and he does a fair amount of pull-off, finger tapin at the fast sections.
    I had found a bootleg video of racerX live, and alderete is amazing. he takes a full 5 min solo of superspeed scales, arpeggios, and up-n-down the neck licks. Very impressive amd lots of finger stamina.

I gotta say thou, he doesn't even look the same now that hes juan alderete and am curious if he had a face lift or some form of plastic surgery. his whole face structure is different, besides the short hair. Anyway, it doesn't detract from his bas playing. The dude gots chops.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    i would like to see that one..