Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaun Nelson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by codeine, Oct 27, 2002.

1. i would like to know what u all think about jaun

I love his funk and syncopation, especially on the first dic of ben harper live from mars.

I think he is one of the better bassists i have heard in recent times.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Juan is an excellent bassist with excellent tone, IMO. I'm a big fan of the disk you mention, "Live From Mars". He's got a great approach to the bass.;)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, Nelson's playing and tone (from a nice F bass) originally got me into Ben Harper. I dig him.

brad cook

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

MONSTER!!! - physically and musically

5. i thought jaun played an MTD

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've seen him with an MTD and most recently on TV with what looked like a MIA Fender Jazz V.

7. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Interesting that this topic should come up. Last week I dug out an old issue of Bass Player that had a transcription of "Steal My Kisses". I've been playing with that solo for a week now - but I haven't gotten it to sound smooth yet.

Last time I saw Ben Harper on a TV special, Juan was playing an MTD-535. He talks about the MTD in the Bass Player issue, and he is even holding the MTD on the front cover of that issue. But hey, I'm sure he can make a Fender sound great too.

8. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Hi Guys,

This last September I was privileged to meet and hear Juan with the D.A Bookman group here in L.A. He is a great person and a great player

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it's JUAN not jaun

and yes, he rocks my world (Fight for your mind-live is wondeful)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My bad about the bass. For some reason I thought I saw him playing an F bass when I saw him on TV a couple of years ago. Poor memory strikes again. I think it's genetic. He definitely plays an MTD 535 as his main axe.

brad cook

EDIT: He also uses a custom shop Fender j V as brad mentioned.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I apologize, (if needed), for this cliche' but it seems appropriate for Nelson;

"It ain't the tools so much as the carpenter."

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love the way he sounds.