Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaw dropping deal from bankrupt Mars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T.B. Player, Nov 8, 2002.

1. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    The day after I ordered a new Spector NS4CRFM from Gard and the bunch I decided to go to Mars with some friends. Another bass playing buddy of mine walks over to a Modulus Genesis (Tobias designed) and fell in love.

I told him not to get too excited because Mars ain't too good on dealing. No sooner did I say that the sales guy says $1200 with case. Normal price is $2000-2600.

There were about 3 guys drooling at the mouth in line to get this last bass. Needless to say I offered to take it off his hands when he got tired of it. I told him I'd get some info about it for him off the net. Anybody use this as a main bass?

Gard, I'm basically sitting at the door waiting for UPS. I got to give Bass Central props.

Shane

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Do you mean jaw dropping?
    Doc

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The Bass Place in Arizona had several of these on eBay some months ago. They were floor demos, 5 string, in various colors (no natural wood ones). All looked to be in great shape. None that I saw went for over $1000 and a couple went for the openning bid of $799.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I got yanked around at the Mars in KC... I went in to look at the MIM 60's jazz bass, they have one that has a few marks on it... they told me that they wouldn't even match the Musician's friend price! They said that all they could do was the 10% off because of bankruptcy laws... now, I am no lawyer, but this sounded like horse@^%$ to me!

So I am pretty bound and determined to get that bass at a deal from them, just to get it at a deal from them!

P@

BTW, very cool about the Modulus! Those have crept up in my mind as a possible score time and time again... we should be seeing some pics soon, right?

:D

5. I own a Genisis 5 (transgreen w\barts)...be prepared for a state of total bliss...it's a truly awsome bass.the Bstring is to die for!!!congrats on your new purchace...

6. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Yeah, jaw dropping would be a lot easier to understand. I was up pretty late when I started this thread, maybe I was thinking about drawing or something. I'll post pictures when I get a chance of both. Even though this bass was a good deal everything else really not any cheaper than usual. The store looked liked it had been through a hurricane.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The liquidators control Mars now. They will increase discounts with time. The employees have no leeway really. They have a sheet with the discounts on it.

8. I went to the one here in nashville Thursday. They were down to 20% off BUT the prices are still high. There were two amps sitting there, both the same model but one was brand new, the other was a scratched up floor model. The trashed floor model was $200 more!! When I talked to the manager, he said the prices were set by the liquidators, they came in and determined a price and there were no negotiations possible. The manager was polite but his hands were tied.

There was a SWR LA 15 at MARS that had been "reduced" to $350. Gee I can mail order it from American Musical for 299 and get a warranty (and not have to pay sales tax, granted I would pay for shipping)

9. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Congrats on the Modulus man!

I played a Modulus (forgot what model it was) up at Mars when it was havin' it's little closing sale thing. I wish I could've plugged it up to something worthwhile, but no cables anod nothing seemed connected that was over 200 watts. It still sounded and felt great though! Clear notes and everything, I liked it!
    Mars looked like it beat up and then some when I went it, and I went in only on the 2nd day of the sale. The basses that were left (which seemed to be a lot of basses) were still either high or just not good. If they had the kind of basses that I liked, then I would've at least tried to negotiate a lil' bit, but their prices were still fairly high in my book. Their amps and speakers too just didn't cut for me. No amp over 600 watts! And the one ampeg that was about 600-700 (I forget the details) was a lil' over $1000. I could get the carvin600 for a good 400 less.
    But anyway, that's my spleal on the whole mars thing....I'm still sad to see them leave though....

BTW, get some pictures soon! :D

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Bass Place closed out Modulus Genesis 5 strings? And sold one for $799? Or do you mean Spector NS4CRs?

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Nope. I used to play Spectors exclusively so I know the difference.;)

The first one they first posted was at $999 and they didn't get a bid:eek: .
    Then they relisted at $799 and the openning bid got it. They subsequently listed several more over about a one or two month period, all selling for around the same price. All solid colors, no wood finishes.

I was pretty much in shock considering what the local Mars was asking for them at the time.

12. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I was just at the one in Indianapolis tonight. They have not one but TWO Washburn 8-string basses there marked down from $1200 to $479. (!!!) Of course I am incredibly cheap, and tried to find someone to bargain that down even further, but I got the same response as someone earlier -- nobody there actually works for Mars any more, they are just the liquidation people and can't lower prices. Oh well, I can wait another week. But you all have to promise not to buy those Washburns out from under me. :cool:

As for other equipment, I'd never been real impressed by Mars' bass selection, and even the dregs that have not been bought out by this point are more expensive than Musicians' Friend.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the difference, I just thought that you might have misread TBP's post.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I know. Thats why I put the ;) in there.:)

Also, they had in the description: "Excellent condition, but because they are demos there is no manufacturer's warranty".

Maybe thats why they sold so cheap.

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The Mars here in Vegas still seems to have many of the familiar faces working, but yes, the response is the same as far as the prices being set by the liquidators (no hagling). However, they've come down to "40% off of lowest price marked" on several items. They've got some stuff "new" for less than I've recently sold the same items on Ebay for "used".

This one is killing me (especially since I don't play Spectors anymore): Spector NS5-CRFM w/case in a beautiful green marked at $1299. Now take 40% off of that = $779 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    They've got one in a burgundy burst too.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    TB Player--

I edited the title of your thread from "Draw" to "Jaw". Drove me nuts every time I looked at it.:D

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I picked up the last copy of Wooten's Bass Day '98 DVD at the Austin Mars for 30% off. Pretty good considering I rarely see those kinds of videos on sale. I already had the video but the DVD has the extra interview which is worth it. Everything else in the store, besides books and videos, was discounted 10%. I think I'm gonna go back in late November and see if the discount is higher and then maybe pick up a Behringer rack compressor. BTW...I'm Ebaying the Wooten Bass Day VHS video now if anyone's interested! Here's the link:
    http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/digme/

brad cook

18. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Thanks Ryan, Thats pretty bad considering I was once the newspaper editor for my high school and college papers.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That isn't good. I am sure there are many companies that are going to get the shaft over this whole deal.

But that is good advice, to support the dealers who ARE trying to survive. I never thought of it that way, but this is a very good point, Ken.

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I was at the Mars music In charlotte NC yesterday.. it was a mad house.. and the sales sucked... the basses were 10-20% off... and the marked down prices weren't really marked down.. I saw a man get coaked into buying a MIA fender jazz bass for $630 without a case... he didn't even know how to play.. he was just going on what the guy who worked there said... He was a jerk aswell.. but thats a different story...