Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jay Anderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by LizzardTom, Mar 18, 2002.

1. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I had pleasure of seeing Joe Sample this past Saturday night at the House of Blues. His Bassist was named Jay Anderson I believe. This guy was very inspiring to watch and listen to. Has anybody else seen him play? Very enjoyable show.

2. Another very good bassist who doesn't get alot of notice. So, what else is new? I have him on recordings by Red Rodney, Chris Potter, and Vic Juris. Always good.

3. Aside from Sample, he tours with pianist Lynne Arriale. Anderson's a beautiful player -- nice ideas, great intonation.

4. I saw him at a festival about seven years ago with Toots Thielmans. Amazing player.

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    He has few albums out, kind of fusion stuff, sounds real good with the doublebass, nice grooves and melodies it makes me think of some stuff by Weather Report, anyway worth checking it out.

6. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Yes, some of his playing reminded me of weather Report. I even mentioned that to my wife during the show.

7. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
    Jay is a very well respected musician. I believe he is playing with Lynne's trio on a Wed.night this month @Birdland in NYC.I really dig him on Mike Stern's "Standards" cd,what a sound.....I think he lives around New Paltz,NY.

8. I drummer friend of mine used to play with Jay regularly, and they're good friends.

Arriale is from WI, and next time she brings her trio through, my friend said he'd try to snag Jay for a lesson for me. (Says I NEED it!)

9. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm glad to see that Jay is such a respected bassist. I was very impressed with his playing and he seemed to enjoy playing for others. I hope that I run across his path again sometime.