Jay Dees anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air_leech, Feb 26, 2002.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey all,

I recently found an internet ad of a guy here in Israel selling a Jay Dee Supenatural bass for around 900 bucks and he described it as a 5 string, made in early 80's, 18V preamp and being sunburst (what???is that possible on a Jay Dee or are they that custom?) the deal includes case.

anyway, I emailed him and asked for a picture, he replyed he didnt had one but invited me to drop by and try it if I'm really intrested in purchasing it.

before I go cross countrying, can anyone comment on this bass and maybe give me a rundown on the models Jay Dee offers, is there a budget model that could be it? maybe some ripoffs were made in the golden days of Level 42?
    keep in mind some of the info given about the bass might be the seller's own poetry skill (production date, being a Mark King model).
    sounds too good a deal, could there be a catch?
  2. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
  3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    actually the Roadie series were featured in sunburst.

I also seen an upper end JayDee (as opposed to the Roadies) with cherryburst finish on both body wings while the neckthrough center was only clear laquered.

dont forget JayDee is a custom luthier first and thus I belive if you ordered your model direct from him you could specify various features.

even though, I find it strange that he will produce a 5 string MK bass.
    I'll call the seller today and inform you of my findings.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's a green one a buddy of mine traded in at the Bass Palace.
  5. supernatural-si

Jun 13, 2002