1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jay DeMarcus (Rascal Flatts) - Did You See His Bass On The ACM Awards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricF, Apr 19, 2010.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As my wife and I were watching the ACM Awards last night, the bass being played by Ray DeMarcus caught my attention.

- '51-style body ('burst) and pickguard (white)
    - J pups and controls
    - Fender headstock (not '51 style)

I thought it looked pretty damn cool.

I haven't been able to find a pic online yet, unfortunately.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Hate that band! *cough cough*

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks for posting something irrelevent :scowl:

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Haha They were on one of the CSI shows and he had "an original" 62 jazz... I was like "pstf! whatever! Like totally!" But it was a reissue fosho, and their acting sucked. But I like the basses he uses, like that LPB jazz he had for awhile

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Not entirely. Country and Rascal Flattttts are common themes between your thread and his post.

That being said, no, I didn't even know what the ACM Awards were until just now.

I suspect his bass was still missing at least 2 more strings, though.
    :rollno:

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    :rolleyes:

This thread is about the bass (which is why it's posted in the Basses section), not the band, the player, or genre of music. Regardless of whether or not you like the music, I know there's a lot of TB'ers who dig these kinds of one-off instruments.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
  8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
  9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Have also seen him playing StingRays on occasion. He likes to mix it up, apparently.

10. Hey everyone, sorry for the necropost, but I just saw the bass EricF was talking about (six years ago) in the video for the making of the Changed album.

Leaving everyone's feelings about the band aside...does anyone know if it was a custom build? I've never seen anything like it, and to be honest it's kinda hot.

Untitled_zpswzehznut.

11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  12. Agreed...I've watched the video for "She's Leaving" and "Banjo" from that performance video, and I still can't tell if it's a heavy relic on a black finish, or a flame effect.

Either way, still think it's hot.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It looks like one of Larry Hartke's oven-scorched relic finishes. Does this guy play Hartke amps?

14. Hmm, don't think so. A relatively period article from 2010 says he uses Ampeg SVT Classics.

15. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA