1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jay Haide Double L'Ancienne Bass, ...any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sushiheadmark, Mar 11, 2008.

1. sushiheadmark

sushiheadmark

Jan 15, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone has spent anytime with one of these double basses (French or Italian version)? It sounded great in the store but my worry is that it might be a wee bit too boomy in my Jazz/pizz/GB wedding band application. I know it is more of an orchestral bass but I am hoping it might be the best bet of an all around orchestral/jazz bass. I actually play cello too and have a Jay Haide L'Ancianne cello that is absolutely fabulous. I don't want to assume the bass will be great because of my cello experience. Any info from people who have used this model of bass (or have heard from others) in the trenches would be appreciated.

2. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know about model names, but mine is the one listed on this page. I really enjoy my Jay Haide bass, and find it to be an exceptional instrument. I do not play in any orchestral settings and use this bass strictly for jazz. I think it has a great pizz tone and has an incredible eveness throughout. Additionally, its sloping shoulders, fully carved body (and wonderful set up), make it a very playable instrument. I would recommend that anybody who is looking for a bass in its price range, should try a Jay Haide bass.

I bought the bass because it was the best sounding, and feeling bass (to me) that I tried during my search, and I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck with your search.

3. sushiheadmark

sushiheadmark

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks for the info. How has the bass done "unplugged" at gigs? If you use a pickup, which one and are you happy with it. I think you have the French version. Is yours all "antiqued"? If it is, then you have the L'Ancienne version. It might even say inside the bass (not that it matters at all:)

4. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    My bass will not knock you on your a$$ when its unplugged, but it has enough volume, and clarity of attack to perform well without an amp in small room type situations. I use a Realist -- it came with the bass and I am very happy with the sound I get from it. Because of my happiness with the realist, I have not tried anything else so would not be able to comment on FC or Underwood or anything else in conjunction with Jay Haide basses.

My bass is at school right now, and I won't see her again until tomorrow . . . I'll let you know if it says anything on the label about what model it is (I don't think its "antiqued").

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I read somewhere (??) that the Jay Haide basses were made by HIMA studios in China. They advertise a lot on the Netinstruments site. Any body know about this?

Thanks

Louis

6. Sushiheadmark, how 'bout an update ? Did you buy the Jay Haide bass? I am considering it -- they let me take one home for a week or so to try it out -- and I am wondering if you bought one last fall, and if so, whether you like it.

7. sushiheadmark

sushiheadmark

Jan 15, 2008
    I never ended up buying the Haide bass after all.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Ifshin Violins imports these and I think it is their shop name. Don't know where they are made though. Only bringing back this old thread because I played one the other day and thought it could be a very nice bass with the right setup. The antiquing was very good and it seemed well made. Sounded good, too.

9. I had a Hima bass and it felt and sounded fantastic. I am ordering another one now and am sure that I will be satisfied as all the ones that I tried sounded great. I play jazz on it. The only issue is that sometimes the glue was not of even quality but it was easily fixed.
    Sylvain

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    We had a new bassist join our section last night with a Jay Haide Panormo - and I have to say it was a very good instrument, both visually and in terms of sound.

Louis

11. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I`m in this very badly at the moment since the local shop sells the Panormo -model for a very, very good price, for me it would be a steal. I have a new and fine carved bass but could make a killer deal on this one, which is in next leaque of quality and double the value. It sounds really good and plays easily and looks... Well, I`m not big fan of " road worn ", " antiqued " and such, but, it looks very beautiful and the finish is top quality work. If there`s anything I should know about this bass, please let me know!

geoffbassist likes this.
  12. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I've played several and liked all of them. They were great instruments.

Reiska likes this.
  13. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks a lot! I`m about to get it anyway, even when the money`s very bad at the moment.

14. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    :hyper:

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Poorly-seasoned wood is a problem with these instruments. The folks at Ifshin usually ship them with open seams to help them acclimate. The few I've dealt with were just fine after I opened them up and let them season in a relatively dry environment for at least a year. Buying one fresh from China and subjecting it to a harsh temperate environment could be asking for trouble.

Eric Hochberg likes this.