Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jay Kilbride -- jaydbass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm in the midst of downloading these tracks at the moment, but while I'm waiting, I'm curious about something. When Jay replies -- Jay, are you by any chance related to bass player Patrick Kilbride, who teaches students at Humber College?

EDIT: Loved the solo. Great technique. Are you using three fingers for some of this stuff?

PS: The pianist is marvelous.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ...just wanted to mention there are now two tracks up for Jay.

4. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Damon is being far too kind. Our esteemed posthost had to wait weeks for me to actually manage to send him the tracks correctly:confused: ! Bit of a Luddite, you see. In fact, a lot of a Luddite. Big thanks again to Damon for all his hard work (and patient forbearance;) )
    Jay

5. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks, man! Glad you enjoyed it. What track did you listen to, Aaron? I do occaisionally use 3 fingers but not to the level of NHOP or Brian Bromberg (I think BB does it, but his HO's & PO's are so refined it's kinda hard to tell!). I mostly do it on a single stopped note or as an "articulated " HO/PO grace-note.
    As for being related to Patrick Kilbride - dunno. I hadn't actually heard of him 'til now. What kind of stuff does he do? I'm gonna check it out 'cos it would be pretty cool if we were related.
    Hey! Maybe this could be the start of a new forum - BassGenesReunited ;)

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I listened to "Come Rain or Come Shine."

I guess Pat does a lot of jazz gigs and has plenty of students from Humber. I met him when he was playing bass for the Toronto production of Wicked the Musical, and apparently he's been big in the musical theatre scene picking up those nicely paying steady gigs from that industry for a few years. He's a doubler, played nicely on both BG and DB. Anyway, he lives in Toronto, Ontario, and if I can find his number, I'll see what I can do about getting that to you.

7. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    CROCS - Yeah, def the better track of the 2. Gonna try & track Pat down on the 'net - there were folks on my dad's side who moved to Canada so who knows? If you can give me any leads that would be cool.
    Jay