Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jay Turser Basses....ugh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, May 29, 2001.

1. Ok, I just went to a music store to try to find a Stingray 5 to play and had no luck at all, but that's not the point of this thread.

My question is this: Do Jay Turser basses make anyone else angry? I saw a Turser Stingray copy there. From afar I thought I was in luck, at least I'd get to try a 4-string. Nope, wrong answer. I had heard about this horrible insults to the almighty Stingray before, but had never seen one up close. A little vexed, I started to walk out the door when something caught my eye. It looked like a Warwick Thumb sitting back on one of the stands, so I went to go check it out. What do I actually find? Another Turser copy! I wasn't aware he was copying Warwick as well. Has anybody else seen one of these? Quite frankly it looks so similar to actual Warwicks (headstock and all) that I think it may be lawsuit fodder. I don't know much about the law in this regard, but it just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for letting me rant. BTW, if anybody in the Kansas City area knows where I can find a Stingray 5 to try out, please let me know.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm suprized why Jay Turser hasent been sued by all of the companies they copy. The Warwick copy has been discontinued. I bet that Warwick came down on them pretty hard.

I got a Jay Turser StingRay 4 for 175. For the money, it's not a bad bass. I put a Seymour Doncan p/u in it & it sounds pretty good. DOSEN'T come close to a real MM, but for $175 + $75 for the p/u, you can't beat it w/a stick.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Speaking of Turser's Warwick copies, this one really blew me away. A guitar player that used to be in our band had a Jay Turser guitar for a backup/knockaround guitar. And guess what--it was modelled exactly like a Warwick Corvette!! Talk about stupid.