Jay Turser Basses....ugh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, May 29, 2001.

1. Ok, I just went to a music store to try to find a Stingray 5 to play and had no luck at all, but that's not the point of this thread.

My question is this: Do Jay Turser basses make anyone else angry? I saw a Turser Stingray copy there. From afar I thought I was in luck, at least I'd get to try a 4-string. Nope, wrong answer. I had heard about this horrible insults to the almighty Stingray before, but had never seen one up close. A little vexed, I started to walk out the door when something caught my eye. It looked like a Warwick Thumb sitting back on one of the stands, so I went to go check it out. What do I actually find? Another Turser copy! I wasn't aware he was copying Warwick as well. Has anybody else seen one of these? Quite frankly it looks so similar to actual Warwicks (headstock and all) that I think it may be lawsuit fodder. I don't know much about the law in this regard, but it just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for letting me rant. BTW, if anybody in the Kansas City area knows where I can find a Stingray 5 to try out, please let me know.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm suprized why Jay Turser hasent been sued by all of the companies they copy. The Warwick copy has been discontinued. I bet that Warwick came down on them pretty hard.

I got a Jay Turser StingRay 4 for 175. For the money, it's not a bad bass. I put a Seymour Doncan p/u in it & it sounds pretty good. DOSEN'T come close to a real MM, but for $175 + $75 for the p/u, you can't beat it w/a stick.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Speaking of Turser's Warwick copies, this one really blew me away. A guitar player that used to be in our band had a Jay Turser guitar for a backup/knockaround guitar. And guess what--it was modelled exactly like a Warwick Corvette!! Talk about stupid.