Jay Turser Stingray copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p0w3rman5ooo, Jul 26, 2001.

1. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    I can get one of these for $195, i like Stingrays but the price is too steep for me. Is there anything wrong with these? Are the good playing, sounding? And anyone ever see the PRS basses?
  2. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have not played any of the Turser models for any length of time, but they look like a lot of bang for the buck. You could upgrade the pickup or preamp down the road if you want. I've also seen the famous model knock-offs by Dillion, and they look well built as well.
  3. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Dillion? Havent heard of them, do they have a site?
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I eas contemplating one as a back-up. I liked it. Better bass for the price than other "low-end" models I've tried lately (Dean, Alvarez, DeArmond, Robelli).
  5. I think Nino-Brown has a Jay Turser. You should ask him about it.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You are correct.:) I have one & I put a Seymour Duncan MM p'up in it. It is a very well made bass. The bass comes w/a lifetime warranty fom the company. I paid about $200 for the bass also. I haven't really used it latley because I have been mainly using 5 string's in my band. I also didn't want to spend over $1000 on a bass. I have an Aguilar OBP-1 pre amp I was going to put in another bass but I think it's gonna end up in the Jay Turser.
  7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i got one.got the same pickups as nino and i got the tone controls to.i got a bass trem off nino too and it my main bass right now.when i get moeny after i make a 6 string i buy warmoth body and neck.it good for the dollare and good to hold you over till the real thing
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    here in italy we have a MM knockoff imported with the brand name EKO. i think that it's the same as the jay turser. i played the bass and i say that for the price is awesome. in these days even cheaper basses are much better than years ago. i have two young students that bought that eko bass and i can only say that for that price you can't go wrong. in september i'll buy one for myself too and maybe i'll add a j pickup in neck position. i think that i'm going back to cheap instruments, don't know why, but when i find a cheap good sounding bass, i fall in love...