Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jay Turser Tele bass? cheap!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Has anyone played one of these?

http://www.jayturser.com/bass-guitars2.htm

Look midway down the page for the jay Turser JTB-401

How does it sound? They are available for less than 170 bucks online. I would love a tele bass in sunburst for that price even if I had to change the PU's.

Does anyone have experience with other Jay Turser basses?

Thanks in advance,
    Karl

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    To me that looks more like a 50s P-bass copy, however I'm dumb so don't listen to me.

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Ya it's a 50s P ripoff.

The only experience I have with Jay Tursner anything are the crappy guitars and basses they have at this one pawn shop around here. They aren't the greatest from what I hear, but I haven't bothered to play one.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    natrab,
    Your right it is a 50's p bass copy. They are somethimes generically called a tele bass. 50's style precisions were rereleased along with the humbucker right at the bridge model as "tele basses". (I think in the 70's or 80's)

Come on someone must have seen one of these..

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played one of their Jazz basses and it was pretty damn bad. Id expect about the same from this one.

Peace
    Nick

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My son has one and its neck is pretty unstable. - Dan

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    The body feels like it's made out of balsawood, the neck must weigh twice that of the body!!! Avoid it!! :meh:

9. I had a jay turser and it's hands down the worst bass I ever played. Somebody told me that they use plywood for the body and it must be true since it weight nothing (crazy neck dive, the body is lighter than the neck. and it sounds really bad.

10. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I had a MM copy and it was a good begginers bass but its not a good one to have as a main axe, unless you uprgrade the electronics, thats what I did and now its a good backup bass.

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the replys. The only experience I have had with Jay Turser is a friend who has a beatle bass that he loves, i guess I will stay away from jay turser solid body basses.

anyone know of any companies that are making tele or 50's style pbasses for less than 300 bucks?

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Not at that price point. Maybe you can find a used Schector. They make a really nice one.

Dan

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Schecter. ;)

You can also look for a used Sting signature P-bass.

Peace
    Nick

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Good call! (Thanks for the correction)