Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jay Turser?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Nov 4, 2000.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    I might be able to get a new bass soon and i don't have the money for a stingray so i was thinking of those Jay Turser copies of the stingray five for 300 bux....what do you guys think?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Ummm...Jay Turser...I KNOW that I have heard that brand mentioned here...now and again....;)

3. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    ug..those things have the floppiest b strings
    not worth 300 if you ask me..

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Retsampals Jay Tursers are something of a standing joke around here. IF you try one and are happy with it great.

Before you do look into the new squire P and the Fender MIM Jazz.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The music man bass copies are supposedly not that terrible for the price...

Will C.:cool:

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    At least its not a MID-END JAY TURSER P-BASS COPY... :D

7. hahaha

Canadianbassman was annoying, but so much so that he really cracked me up.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Relating to another thread here....

Does anyone know about the quality of the JT "beatle bass"?

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we have to make some distinctions here - i have never nor will ever have anything to do with a beatle bass :D.

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Now why...does that NOT surprise me?...:D

11. I just got a Jay Turser 4-string stingray for about $200 (they list at $305 i think) and it plays, sounds, and feels really good for the price. You have to consider these.

12. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    Well, i may consider getting one or i would get the epiphone EB-3 5....is it any good for slapping?

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  14. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hi, Scooby here! I just got a Turser P-Bass Copy and my first impression was that it looked really good but kind of sucked playing wise. However, I took off the horrible strings that came with it, and lowered the action and put brand new Ken Smith Stainless Strings on it. Now it plays and sounds 100% better. I have tried out the Stingray copy and I thought it was pretty good especially considering it goes for $200 on Ebay. I think they are in the same class as Squires, maybe even a little better. Just remember to put on a set of good strings right away.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I DON'T WANT NO DAMN BEETLE BASS WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF YOUR MID END 7 STRING DOUBLE NECKS AND IS THE PICKUPS OK OR ARE THEY ****?

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    NAH YOU CAN PROBABLY DO BETTER THAN SOMETHING MAYBE A MID END FENDER OR SOMETHING BUT DAMN I NEED MORE AMP I HAVE A 25 WATT SAMICK AND I NEED A LOT MORE POWER WOULD PICKUPS FROM A HIGH END BASS LIKE A DEAN HELP ME I LIKE P BASS YEAH...

...:confused: :D

Ahh...the memories...

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What I think is: when I was a beginner I did what you are thinking of doing, I bought a bass that LOOKED like the bass I wanted but couldn't afford. Big mistake but lots of folks make it, that's why they sell basses ike that.

I have tried a few Tursers in stores and all were pretty unimpressive. Only mediocre materials (one had a neck with visible knots in the wood!!!), sound and playability.

What I hear you saying: you MIGHT be able to get a new bass soon but don't have the $$$ for a StingRay. OK, if you get a $300 Turser that's $300 you could have put towards what you really wanted in the first place. Bad move.

If $300 is all you can afford, FORGET about ANYTHING new, shop for USED basses and just keep your eyes open. I picked up a US made P-bass with case last year for $200 (!!!) and a buddy just snagged a real US made graphite-neck Steinberger a month ago for $399. Just took a quick look around the net for 5 minutes and came up with a US made Guild bass for $225, some US Kramers ranging from $200 to $385, Peavey 5-strings for $220 to $250, a US made active Fender Jazz 5 string for $500 (OK, that's getting out of your range). The finds are out there if you're willing to do the searching. Don't worry if the finish is all banged up or not your favorite color if it's going to save you hundreds of dollars!!!

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

We never get these over here in the UK - guess they don't travel well!? But there seems to be a great diversity of opinion - are they really just poor replicas as brian seems to be saying and designed to rip beginners off?

19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have seen a few JTs...and they seem to be on a par with other inexpensive basses. The key word here being..."inexpensive".
    For up to $200...they are a good deal. But more than that...and one is better off passing on them.

20. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Does anybody know if there actually is (or was) a "Jay Turser", or is this just some American sounding name that a mrketing guy in Singapore came up with... another "Betty Crocker" ?

Dave P.