Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jay turser?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Mar 31, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    today i swapped my olp mm copy for a cool purple sunburst p-bass copy by j turser,its as light as a feather and has an awesome finish,it was set-up to my specs by my teacher/luthier so i know its just how i like it,i by am no means bragging i need your guys help,anybody out there got any feedback as far as durablity is concerned,how do they hold up in the long run? give me the goods straight up,dont hold back,tell it like it is:bassist:

2. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    my dad has had a Jay Turser guitar for a few years now, and all I really knew about em is that they were a copycat company... their website doesn't really help, and the guitar has LIMITED abilities. durability, not sure since it's been played rarely but it seems like a rather solid model. I know it's not a bass but i'm pretty sure there's not too much of a difference between the company's bass and guitar manufacturing

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know anything about them really, but from previous threads/discussions round here, my impression was that :

Jay Turser was "Canadian" for Rogue !! ;)

:D

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Jay Turdser RaWkZ

w00t!

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    A guitarist in my last band had a Jay Turser guitar. Pretty inlays, but sounded like s**t!

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They aren't bad. There are some reviews at Harmony Central that may be of use to you. My son plays a purple P-bass copy and he likes it. I had to adjust the neck a tad to eliminate buzz. I may have to replace the nut as well.

Canadian for Rogue - that's funny. :meh:

Dan

7. Is Jay Turser a canadian company? Where are they located?

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i hade to get rid of it,for me it was way to light.
    it just felt to flimsey,it had an awesome purple snbrst finsh but that was no reason to keep it,
    i traded it in for an 80's japanese p-bass copy,this bass rocks! it weighs in at 11 lbs,5 of wich feel like its in the bridge, a cool string through brass type,it looks like its made of old plumbing parts,its definetly a collector.never seen another like it'
    the brand is GRAND PRIX, any feedback?

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Jay Turser
    Guitars and Basses
    Music Industries Corp.Inc
    625 Locust Street
    Garden City, NY 11530
    1-800-431-6699
    516-794-1888
    516-794-4099 (FAX)

10. Okay! Thanx! It's not that I want to contact them, it's just that guy with his "Jay Turser is canadian for Rogue" comment! :D

Anyway their basses look cheap.

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They are cheap. Good enough for a 10 year old just starting out on bass though. :)

Well you could always make jokes about those British Burns guitars :D

Dan

12. I think a 10 year old would be better with a Squier P-bass. :)

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yeah, but I sold it to buy myself a Zone bass. In any case he loves purple so that is that ;)

Dan

14. Coach

Coach

May 19, 2004

Jay Turser guitars are made in China, probably at the same factory where they make Rogue's and other copycat basses. For the record, I'm very happy with my Turser Beatle bass.

15. BASSELF

BASSELF

Apr 19, 2004
    ottawa
    My first bass i ever had was a jay turser i had it for 4 years and it was working fine after those years.The durability is great in my opinion.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I know this is an old thread, but you gave the bass one day before you got rid of it. LOL :)

17. :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Treena

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a piece of TalkBass history - so, there was a notorious troll called : "CanadianBassMan" who eventually got banned for overposting and stupid stuff - but he was notorious for going on about how wonderful his Jay Turser bass was and he posted loads of threads asking about them, who had them etc. etc. ..... ;)