Jay Tursers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtones, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Now, I've heard some stuff going around here about Jay Turser Basses.

I wanna know, what do you guys (JT, I hear you talking about them sometimes) know about these?

I have a Jay Turser JTB-440. It's a Stingray copy, and I just love this thing. After reading the posts for about 2 1/2 months now, and hearing what you guys say about Jay Turser, I think I must have gotten that one-in-a-million "Jewel of the litter" bass.

My instructor sells these at his store for cheap prices, and he gave me a discount too, in the end, i got it for $200.

What I'm trying to say is that I've heard a lot of different opinions about this company, some saying it's an old company that makes pieces of crap, some saying that it's a new company, I don't know. I guess i want the .. err .. history (could'nt think of a good word) of this company and if any of you people out there are experienced with these basses, tell me what you think about it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    From what I heard Jay and his cousin, Sergio Valente were two art students who met at CCNY in the early 70's. They decided to start a band, even though neither had musical experience. The name of the band escapes me, but I recall it was the name of a marital aid in a Burroughs novel... anyway the band fizzled, Sergio went into fashion design and Jay got an apprenticeship with the world-reknowned luthier, Carlo Robelli.

After working under the master from May to October in 1977, Jay struck out on his own. One of his first designs in fact was the original MM Stingray, which he licensed to Leo Fender with a 20 year non-compete clause. His next design, the hydraulic pickup was not as well-received (couldn't qualify for the UL listing, no GCFI). This was followed by a series instruments meant to be played in odd time signatures. He gave up luthing and took a job at his dad's sponge factory.

Fast-forward 20 years. Jay now has the right to sell his first design and it's a big success. Imagine, a bass that looks like a Musicman...but costs much less!

You've apparently found a good one...it's not as hard as some people seem to think. They're decent basses, especially for the price. Just like Jay always wanted.

All jokes aside, they aren't crap... they're just inexpensive. There's nothing wrong with that.

Hope that helps.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

yeah, we mainly rib on them because of a former poster here and a thread he participated in - it was sorta funny.

here, check it out...

that sorta started a conklin/jay turser/john turner sorta thing around here.

all in fun, though.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree, rickbass. there are some killer basses for starters out there now - for 200-300 bucks you can get some kick ass bass guitars. some of the mim fenders that i've played were _execellent_. except for their woefull lack of strings :D