1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaycar 15" Party Speaker: Good for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DennyP, Apr 1, 2013.

1. DennyP

DennyP

Mar 9, 2013
    Hello,

I was fiddling around Jaycar's site and found this:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2515

What do you guys think? The frequency response is a tad shy from the 30Hz low E Threshold but for the $150 with crossovered tweeters/horn it looks good for the monies.

2. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Sensitivity and power handling are too low and I don't see any kind of level control on the four tweeters. I think this line from the description pretty much says it all.

"These speakers could be used for PA applications but they are really suited more to party use."

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, you're going to have to accept that decent stuff to play bass through costs money.

lazarusdoom, BurningSkies and Sartori like this.
  4. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
    I had a pair of those as Vocal P.A speakers once.they were ****

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    They are the bottom of the barrel for quality,
    I would not use them for bass (let alone anything else),
    they are basically stereo system speakers and will not handle live bass dynamics.

6. DennyP

DennyP

Mar 9, 2013
    Bugger, well can't blame me for trying jajajaj.

7. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
    cheapie bass cabinets can be had on ebay australia all day long my friend.
    If you are buying a head aswell,give yourself a budget of $500 and just trawl ebay for a while.You'll find something.Try looking for old peaveys,there's plenty of them.

rodl2005 and Pimmsley like this.
  8. Brandonthemobiledj

Brandonthemobiledj

Jul 14, 2014
    Hi guys,
    The Jaycar Party Speakers are the best party speakers I've ever come across...
    I am a mobile dj with a budget setup
    In year 9 I went searching for a cool speaker setup just for home use when i came across the 15inch party speakers at jaycar
    Pretty massive speakers for the price plus i found that combined with 100watt digitech 2 channel amplifier the are the perfect pair.....
    It's a shame now that they are sold out and discontinued

9. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    so i guess you play a lot of live bass on mobile dj gigs? interesting.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The efficiency isn't the worst I've seen, but it's not very good, either. Especially combined with that really low power handling.

Probably works great for what it's for, but I wouldn't use it for bass guitar.

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Remember that out of the 120 watt rating of the whole cabinet, the tweeters would be a share of that.
    I would suspect the 15" is rated at 75 watts RMS, and good bass amp would kill it in a matter of seconds.

You get what you pay for !!

12. Just say no ! - I've seen it, it's rubbish !

Jaycar used to have great stuff in the 90's up to the mid 2000's, most if it is junk now including their electronic components... I have trays of quality parts like regulators, caps, resistors etc from Jaycar bought in the 90's and it's USA, Japan, UK made quality brands, now it's literally all junk brands from china...
    Very sad as I used to have a lot of fun buying project parts from them and they are one of the last component stores left when you need a part in a hurry.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. Absolute rubbish for bass. As already stated. .. you can find good quality BASS cabs on eBay Aus cheap all day long of late.
    I don't even like em for playing CDs thru but each top his own. A guyi know cheaped out and bought some for DJ work. He blue them within a cuppla months. The bought some LOW priced JBLs and they sounded Heaps better. He still uses them afaik.
    They also sound like crud for bass guitar and won't last long at all.

14. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Crap. I wouldn't even get it for a party. They are selling the appearance, not performance. Stick with "bass cabinets".

Sartori likes this.
  15. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Post #7: April 2013
    Post#8: July 14, 2014, and a shill. Run, Luke; it's a trap.

Pimmsley likes this.
  16. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    and joined today too..

17. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    SUNSHINE COAST AUS.
    I had one, so as not to wreck good PA speakers at party...ended up just canabalising it for the little peizos and put the 15 in an old back up wedge (haven't used it yet. was over two years ago!)
    I wouldn't think it would go close to handling basss.