Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaydee Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hello TBrs'

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever owned one of these. I use to have one that I purchased at a music store in old downtown Burbank before it closed. It had a set neck with one pick-up/passive MM style with a wood cover. It had great feel and tone, but I sold it when I saving money to buy a Smith. I know Wal basses are pretty popular, how about the Jaydees? I know Mark King use to have one. Do they still make'em.

Bassconbeatz

2. Bassconbeatz, JayDee Custom Guitars are still going even though the heyday of the Mark King model has passed, however they still sell the Mark King model (which is now called the "Classic") as it's a must to nail the Mark King '80s tone IMO, don't forget the super light strings though. I once had a Supernatural Mark King model in red, matched with a Trace Elliot rig it nailed Mark's tone without question, I didn't use it in most ensemble situations though as it was a little too light weight in the bottom end as I had the SuperWound 30-90 gauge strings on it, however with a respectable guage of strings on it a JayDee can get deep and fat easily. I remember it played like butter and had the lowest action I have seen or felt on any bass guitar save of course the Alembic Mark King signature deluxe I used to have, now that was the finest bass I have ever owned or played, but I won't get into that here, but suffice to say Alembics are the stuff that bass players dreams are made of. Anyways, I only sold the JD because I moved on to 5 string basses exclusively. One day though I would like to get another JD MK though as they truly are expertly built and they have a very unique tone, and yes they are major slap machines. Here's a link to JayDee's website:

http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/bassjonesmusic.htm

3. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Bassjones,

Cool, thanks for the link. I'm sure you were a Level 42 fan, like me. I hope they do a reunion tour like TRF, DuranDuran etc,,, very soon. Did Status have a Mark King Model also?

Bassconbeatz

4. Bassconbeatz, Status have a Mark King model now which is a real mofo, however as far as I know in the 80s he used a series II all graphite model Status and later a Status Empathy model which was a throughneck graphite bass with an exotic wood top. His new Status' tone is obviously very hi fi and as such they are brutally expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think I read an article in the UK bass mag Bass Guitarist that Mark King asked Rob Green the brilliant luthier that crafts Status basses to make the new Mark King model sound like the 80s Status models. Either way though I believe Mark King really made his mark (sorry for the pun) when he used Jaydees. As for Level 42, I would love to see Mike, Phil and Boon come back, however I think the current line-up with Gary Husband are a force to be reckoned with as the latest live DVDs illustrate in full effect. I caught the Mark King bug a long time ago, wow I'm old!!??!, and as such I will always have atleast one bass that can do a reasonable facsimile of his tone.

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame4.htm

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/bassjonesmusic.htm

5. Go here to here lots of the Jaydees sound:

www.gazzbass.com

go to the videos section.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That guy is obsessed with Mark King.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    John Taylor and Mark King (eventhough I can still pull only about 1/100th of MK's licks/vibe) were THE two players that pulled me into the Low End vortex. I saw Level 42 at the Paladium the night before the Downey/Northridge earthquake. MK definitely contributed to destabilizing the earths foundation that night.