Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jay's big fun review of his new SUB bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dino_jr_, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dino_jr_

dino_jr_

Jun 6, 2003
    Okay people, I'm gonna do my best to give my humble opinion on my new ernieball musicman sub stingray.
    I payed £550 for it, down from £699 after doing some price-matching with UK store Sound Control i must say surprisingly were great, it arrived from Canada(thats what it says on the box!) in three days!
    This particular Sub bass is a four string active with a 2eq which i believe are treble/bass boosts, the bass is very responsive and i can get nice usable tones out of those two alone, though the treble only seems to only really kick in on the last kijillionth of a turn, but that's okay, yes it's not a 'real' stingray, but American
    made at almost 1/3 of the price of a stingray over here, you can't go wrong, especially when you're 17.
    It's definitely worthy of being considered it's own bass, sure it's modelled on a stingray and doesn't quite sonically cut like the stingray can, but it has some beautiful tones IMO and i can't stress what a workhorse this thing is.
    The dark red finish is truly beastly, pre straplocks, it took two standing height falls! and there are no dings, yet!, I did install black schaller straplocks a week later, don't worry.
    The scratchplate was off as soon as it left it's packaging, the tackyest and most bedroom rockstar thing i ever did see, it's since been replaced by a BWB scratchplate from guitarpartsresource.com, and looks splendid.
    Two things i just can't understand that i've heard people rant about before were the uncountoured body being 'uncomfortable' and painted neck being 'sticky', and both these people admit to lusting after pre ernie ball stingrays (uncountoured bodies) and ricks (painted necks)....hmm.
    Out of the box, the intonation was perfect and the action was quite low, considering the 3500 mile haul it had just been through, i was definitely impressed with that.
    A few things, may i add mostly cosmetic, that i wasn't too happy about..
    1, The inside of the bottom horn seems to be slightly unfinished or thinly coated. It's slightly lighter and chalkier? than the rest of the bass.
    2, The paint on the neck slightly overlaps the top fret dots in places, doesn't bother me though as i rarely use them as a reference point, and if i did it isn't that noticable.
    3, The battery is a real bitch to get out without some kind of lever to stick in, at a gig this could be a real pain.
    ...but at this price, who cares!

A little about myself, I'm 17 and currently playing in several bands, one of which gigs in some of Bristol's prettier venues bi-monthly on average, i go to a music college and have been using this bass almost every day, so it gets a lot of playing, and so far i have nothing to rant about playing or sound wise.
    Just recently I've hooked up with some girls from the vocal course at my college and we're covering 'you oughta know' by Alanis Morrisette, amongst about 10 other songs for a massive gig in May, and i must say especially in that song this bass sound's absolutely terrific. On some of the cheesier female alt countryish sounds i've favoured playing at the end of the neck, and this thing can sure shift some air, and thats only through a 150 watt peavey!

I hope this will be of use to someone, one day.
    Pictures on the way.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, that seemed to be about my findings. Great bass for the money, but I personally could never justify spending $700 on a SUB when I paid $700 for my Stingray.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The treble boost pot thing, where it only kicks in at the end, sounds like a dirty or loose pot, might want to look into that.