Jayson's custom bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P RicanWITaBASS, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    I'm a beginning bassist who has been playing for approximately 9 months currently (the time when this thread was created) and I am looking to buy a costume maid bass sometime around March of 2006, '07, or '08, all depending on how much cash I have. ANYWAY, I'm just looking for advice on any persons who live within 2-3 hours of Cleveland, OH and will make costume basses or companies that produce quality costume mde basses? Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, pieces of advice, or reccomendations are welcome.

2. :eyebrow: My fiance wears a maid costume sometimes when I play my bass, but I've never played a costume maid bass......
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Only playing for 9 months and you already know that you want a custom made bass?? Before you go plunking down serious amounts of cash on a custom, you need to spend a lot more time playing different basses/amps to figure out what exactly you want/need. Your needs as a bassist are going to change significantly as your playing matures/gets better. You seriously need to go out and play everything you can get your hands on now, and I would be willing to bet you will be able to find your ideal bass off-the-shelf, so to speak.
  4. Hahaha You took the words right out of my mouth.

5. Ahahahaha that made my day!
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    First, try here....dictionary.com

Second, Ryan hit the nail right on the head. Why waste money on a custom, when it might not give you the tone, playability, or look you're looking for. Try hitting music stores that carry high end equipment. (where I live, a tough thing to find) Ask to play whatever catches your eye, and then play the ones you think are ugly as sin. You'll never know until you've played it.

If you plan on buying something custom in 06',07, or 08', save all the cash you can now. By the time you've played all the basses that you see, you'll have a better idea on what you want, not to mention the cash to buy what you want as well.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Trust me, you don't want a custom made bass yet, maybe not ever. For me, I started out, I had high hopes saying this, and that, and wanted custom basses here and there. Frankly, years later I found what I didn't expect at all in Fenders.

Now, I know I'm perfectly happy with four strings, alder body, maple neck, frets (or not) and some Dimarzio's. I like 'em passive, nothing crazy for me.
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1 on not wanting a custom made bass yet. Im also pretty new... Ive been playing for about 5 years and was about to go custom, but in the end I decided not to. Thank god I didn't, because now that I think about it, I really dont know exactly what I want. And besides, its really a crazy amount of money to pay in the first place... so why potentially waste it on something you wont like (you might like the idea of it.. or like it now.. but you might not like it in the future.).

wait a while.. hit up some music stores and just see what you like first. But give yourself a lot of time to see what you like. Took me a lot of time. Im still not 100% sure.

9. Me too!!! Great! Personally, I was headed toward, "looking for a "housemaid" or "French Maid" style???" ;)
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would recommend getting the costume maid bass in March of 2007.